After the operation?

LessofRaven
on 8/28/14 1:00 pm, edited 8/28/14 1:00 pm - San Jose , CA
VSG on 09/24/14

How should you expect to feel in the weeks after the surgery?

Is there anything you wish someone would have told you about?

I'm 2 weeks out and starting to get super nervous!

Sleeved! 9/24/2014 by Dr. Bhoyrul  SW: 265  CW:253

First Goal 10% (238.5) , Second Goal 25% (198.5), Finish line (150)  

FindingMyWeigh
on 8/28/14 1:09 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

I don't know that it's so much something someone didn't tell me, so much as it was something I had to physically feel for myself:  the complete absence of hunger at times, how very little you can eat, how much your relationship with food changes (for the better) and how completely AWESOME it is to buy clothes in the normal sizes instead of forking out for Lane Bryant high dollar clothing 

Just sayin' !!!

Peace be with you

Colleen

Sleevarilla
on 8/28/14 3:20 pm, edited 8/28/14 3:20 pm

I did a lot of research before my surgery, I thought I was prepared for just about anything that happened. I was excited, but also a little fearful, to see how my body would react. Would I be nauseated? Would I be able to drink plain water? What complications would I have?

But, one thing I was not prepared for was how much my hernia repair would hurt. Also, I wasn't prepared for how easy recovery has been. I'm not having difficulty meeting my protein or fluid goals, my pain has greatly diminished and I'm really having a very easy time. None of my fears that I had prior to surgery have come to fruition. It's just been amazing.

You are perfectly normal to have the fears you're having. It happened to anyone who has had surgery. You'll be fine!

Follow my journey: www.sleevarilla.com

It never gets easier. You just get better!

LovingEsme00
on 8/28/14 10:52 pm

Hi there. I'm 5 wks post op on Monday and I did a lot of research before surgery as well (as everyone who is considering surgery should do) and I have to say that until you go through it you're just not 100% prepared. I'm still having some incision pain and yesterday had fecal impaction which is the most horrible thing I've had to go through since surgery! I know the docs tell you drink your fluids and your protein but my doc and nut forgot to mention how bad you can get constipated because you're just not getting enough fiber in your diet at this point. I started taking mirolax with my protein shake now and going to do MOM for the next couple of days and hope that works. The head hunger will always still be there even though physically you have no appetite and a lot of times I have to remind myself to eat. Even though I've had minor set backs and still having some pain I know it will get better and I've lost weight which I'm really happy about. This is a huge surgery and a big change in your life so just be prepared mentally and emotionally for it. Good luck with everything! Keep us posted ;)

~Esme

~Esme

VSG on 7/28/14!

Age: 34 5'5" HW: 304, SW: 284, CW: 247 (10/13/14) GW: 165

M1: 22, M2:8, M3:?

Jules78
on 8/28/14 11:01 pm - GA
VSG on 05/01/14

I was not prepared for the insane head hunger in the week or so after surgery.  There were times when I was literally in tears because my head was telling me to go get a bacon double cheeseburger when in reality I could barely get down a few teaspoons of chicken broth!

Also be prepared for the pain and swelling in the incision areas.  My 5 incisions developed these large hard knots underneath them.  I found out it was scar tissue and fluid build up at my 2 week check up.  The pain and hardness are now all completely gone.  Also, while this is minor, my breath was horrendous in the days after surgery from being in ketosis.  

Bearing in mind you may or may not experience any of these things.

youtube channel- silkiilocks

Tracy D.
on 8/28/14 11:26 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I was surprised at how easy the recovery process was.  I have had two previous C-sections and this VSG thing was a BREEZE compared to those!   Surgery Friday, home on Sunday, driving and doing errands on Tuesday.  Went back to work full-time the following Monday.  

Don't get me wrong - I took it easy and took plenty of breaks and rested.  But I was lucky not to have any complications and was able to get in food and water OK.  

Good luck to you! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Valerie G.
on 8/28/14 11:47 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

This article can give you a good idea what to expect:  What to expect after surgery.

I had the DS, (has a sleeve stomach).  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Amber G.
on 8/29/14 2:30 am
VSG on 04/02/14

I think the hardest part for me, was the mental aspect of it all. It is a huge change! The 1st 2 weeks, when I had to prepare food for my children, and could not eat anything was really hard. Then when I could eat, there was the realization that I could only eat a tablespoon of food and be completely full. Although the 1st 2 weeks- up to 1 month out was rough, but I still would not change it for anything at all! I am almost 5 months out, and things are much more normal and the adjustment has settled in well :) 

jenorama
on 8/29/14 2:39 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

One thing that surprised me was how long it took to recover my energy. I went back to work after 2 weeks and I felt fine pain-wise, but I got tired really quick. Also, narcotic pain relievers constipate you, so check with your surgeon on what you can do safely to keep the mail moving. 

Jen

hilaryhk
on 8/29/14 6:02 am
VSG on 08/13/14

I agree with others about the head hunger. I am about 2.5 weeks post op, and had no complications and a quick recovery. Physically, I was great and back to work after 9 days. But, I love watching Food Network, Cooking Channel, and any other cooking competition show. Man, what a head trip! My head wants me to eat everything I see, but my new little tummy says "NO". After a few days, it has gotten easier.

The other thing I wasn't prepared for, but probably should have been, was the Day 5 post op Carb Cravings. I have never wanted a cracker or a sandwich so badly in my life. I should have known it was coming because when I had done the Medifast diet, that was about the same time, the overwhelming carb craving**** Luckily, it didn't last too long and passed within a day.

VSG on 8/13/14: Height: 5'2"  HW: 250  SW: 213.8 CW: 187.5

Most Active