The Roller Coaster called Life

bigolalaskan
on 8/29/14 6:55 am - Spring Creek, NV

I last reported I had my psych exam.  Was submitted and Approved by insurance.  HURRAH.  Got a list of the blood tests, made an appt for my gout with the intent of giving the blood test for last monday.  Sunday, shortness of breath.  Monday, worse, doctor sends me to get chest xray and blood tests.  

Tuesday morning, calls, tells me to get my hiney down to the hospital for a cat scan.  Chest xray isn't detailed enough but blood tests say clot in lung.  I can't even walk to the bathroom without breaking into a sweat.  Get quickly dressed, grab the coffee, and nearly passout after walking 5 feet.  Call ambulance as no way I'm going to make it to the car walking from the house.  

Been in the hospital ICU since Tuesday.  Because of my diabetes, my kidney numbers (dont understand them but lower is better) were too high for a cat scan, diabetes was way out of control, and here I sit.  finally got my scores down and had the cat scan as nothing but blood tests were showing the clots.  Cat scan showed my lungs with several clots that have scattered about clogging up the works.  Will get to go home tomorrow with oxygen, Coumadin for 6 months, blood thinner shots for a couple of weeks, insulin, and a bunch of other stuff.

I will not be having my surgery until I'm off of coumadin in six months, and possibly longer when my doctor runs genetic testing to find out where these are coming from and why they are being formed.  

Not worried though.  This was a life changing event for me.  not being able to walk 3-5 feet without gasping for breath can do that.  We dont know how long this has been going on but guessing a year or more.  Just thought I was fat, old, and out of shape.

Goddess had to hit me with the 2 x 4 again to get me to realize I HAVE TO DO THE FIGGIN WORK, NOT A SURGERY, NOT A MAGIC PILL, JENNIE BERTINA STARKEY NEEDS TO DO IT.

When the times come I can have this surgery, I'll be back.  Locked, loaded, and ready to fly . . . 

Lap Band 2002-2005. Surgery Date 03/02/2016 | Current Weight:  311
Dr. Christina Richards MD, Salt Lake City |  HW: 357  SW: 324  GW: 175 |
New blog at http://www.worldaccording2jen.com

rumpole6
on 8/29/14 7:03 am

Best of Luck Jennie!

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

Amber G.
on 8/29/14 7:57 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Wow Jennie, so sorry to hear you are going through this! Very glad to hear they were able to find out what is going on! Clots are so deadly. Hopefully now they can get everything under control, and on your way to surgery! Wishing you a speedy recovery 

nursebonnie
on 8/29/14 9:03 am
VSG on 08/19/14

Jennie,

Yes the Godess was on your side that day. So sorry you are going thru this, but perhaps a blessing in disguise?

Let us know how you are doing.

Miss150
on 8/29/14 9:09 am

So glad this journey took you to the knowledge of a place that could have been life-threatening (God's graces are so good!)  Get well- get healthy and come back and pursue....  Health and happiness to you.  - bonnie

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

Luvmygs
on 8/29/14 10:18 am
VSG on 12/04/14

My prayers for a speedy recovery.

cappy11448
on 8/29/14 10:34 pm

Wow, Jennie.  I'm so sorry to hear you had to go thru this.  I'm so glad they located the problem and are taking care of you.  It must be frustrating to have to wait for the surgery, but hang in there.  It will happen.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

EverydayDiva
on 8/30/14 12:22 am

Jennie, I am so sorry you are going through this, and I can empathize. I had a pulmonary embolism in 2010 - just as you described, I couldn't walk more than a few feet without gasping for air. I also thought I was just old and fat and out of shape. I had my WLS on May 21 of this year and a month later, I developed a clot in my leg (same leg where the clots were that caused the pulmonary embolism the first time). This time, I recognized the signs quickly and got to the doctor before the clot could travel.  I'm on blood thinners again, have gone through the genetic testing (negative).  Any kind of abdominal surgery puts you at greater risk for developing clots. I knew this going in to my surgery and my doctors kept a very close eye on me. I still wouldn't change my decision and am happy with my weight loss so far, but you are right - there is no substitute for you doing the work. And you CAN do it. I'm down almost 50 pounds and walking 3+ miles and/or going to the gym for an hour every day and feel great. Best of luck to you, and thanks for letting me share my story.

VSG Surgery Date 05/21/14      

Kelly Jean
on 8/30/14 12:29 am
VSG on 04/08/14

Wow I'm so sorry this sux.... but having started this process saved your life possibly .... do everything they say and maybe in 6 months or more you will already be down quite a bit and you can gave your sleeve done....  this I'm sure was quite an eye opener for you !!! Best of luck to you and your in my thoughts and prayers! !!:-)

♡ Kelly

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 58 views