5+ Months Post Revision AND REFLUX FREE! (and doing a happy dance!!!!)

veggiegal10
on 9/5/14 1:23 pm

So, I posted a while back about my troubles with reflux. 

I had VSG originally in 2009 and from the start I experienced acid reflux which got worse over the years.  Taking a PPI (largely Prilosec) became a daily thing.

However, having become frustrated with being dependent on PPIs that worked less and less over the years, I sought out possible surgical fixes/alternatives.  I saw a surgeon who said that the way my surgery was done when the procedure was first available as well as a hiatal hernia that I had developed had definitely led to the problems and with revision the reflux could very likely be resolved.  So, I went ahead with the revision on March 31, 2014.  He fixed the hernia and other distension/dilation.   

About a month after the revision, I was still experiencing severe GERD and was still dependent on a PPI.  The surgeon said if I was still experiencing reflux, it was likely to be as good as it was going to get, which didn't make me happy.  I had started reading about PPI dependence and wondered if that could be contributing to my problem.  So I started doing more research, figuring what the heck.  If it didn't make it better, at least I had tried.  I eventually made a (loose) plan to wean myself off the Prilosec. 

Although it took some time (about 3 months for full relief), I.AM.HEARTBURN.FREE!  I have not used nor needed, a PPI or other antacid for over a month!  Not after coffee in the morning.  Not after lunch.  Not after dinner or before bed.  Not after I workout.  AND I've lost another 20 or so pounds since the revision!

For someone who was previously taking something every day and still sometimes having reflux, this has been amazing! I feel like singing from the rooftops, and no one wants to hear me sing. 

For the the first time (since maybe 2009) I am loving the sleeve.  I debated writing anything.  I didn't want to come off as too preachy, just hoping to help someone else here.  

Long story short, if you are thinking about trying to get off antacids, do it.  It may take a while but the results are SO worth it.  The surgeon, for all his assistance with the revision, never suggested trying to stop using the Prilosec - and in fact, recommended using it every day if necessary.  So glad I didn't accept the status quo and didn't stop until I was satisfied. 

HW: 227lbs Weight at surgery: 209lbs CW: 153lbs GW: ~145lbs.

VSG w/ Dr. Dunnican 8/10/2009; Revision w/ Dr. Wayne Weiss 3/31/14

km30381
on 9/5/14 2:16 pm

So glad everything worked out for you.  I am confused.  What did you revision from and too?  Did you just redo the sleeve?  I am thinking of getting the sleeve and the heartburn and re-flux is my biggest concern.

veggiegal10
on 9/5/14 10:46 pm

Yeah. The surgeon fixed the hernia and repaired some other portion that had becomes distended/dilated (lots of medical stuff).  He said years ago they were still learning about what happens 2 years out; 5 years out etc. (and my first surgeon was new to the procedure).  So they ended up having some problems that they've now learned to avoid. So he just fixed the sleeve to how they are performing them now.

skeller
on 9/5/14 3:15 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 05/01/14 with

I had no reflux prior to surgery, but following surgery I experienced horrible, incredibly painful reflux. My surgeon doubled my dose of PPI, and a week later had to double it again so that I was taking 40mg twice a day.

I do not want to be dependent upon a PPI, and I know that side effects can impact one's bone integrity. So I have been trying every once in a while to drop down to a lower dosage. I am now four months out from surgery, and I have been able to drop back to 20mg once a day. I am hopeful that I'll be able to stop taking them altogether at some point, although attempts to do that have so far been unsuccessful. Will keep trying, though!

Congratulations on being antacid-free!!

DOB 1958, HT 5'4" . . . HW 310, SW 281, CW 184.3

M1 -25, M2 -7, M3 -11.9, M4 -7.6, M5 -11.8, M6 -9.6, M7 -1.7, M8 -10, M9 -5, M10 -5

Michele H.
on 9/5/14 5:20 pm - NJ

Trying this exact same thing now.  What did you do?  Keep lowering your dose until you stopped taking any Prilosec?  Did you take Zantac or Tums To help?  I was taking OTC Prevacid, one per day.  I stopped about 4 days ago and have taken one Zantac daily and have used Tums.  I can't find much on acid rebound from Zantac, which is not a PPI. I think the acid is slightly better and I am just making myself deal with it and not give in and take a Prevacid, I am just so paranoid about damage to my esophagus.   I have been mindful of my meal size and trying to eat smaller portions as recommended by my surgeon...he thinks my reflux is due to meal size which seems crazy considering how little I eat.  The more I read about PPI's the more I think they are the cause.  

Michele

veggiegal10
on 9/5/14 10:56 pm, edited 9/5/14 10:56 pm

Yeah.  I tried to take the Prilosec in the morning only when absolutely needed (sometimes I would wake up with heartburn).  If I could manage, I wouldn't take anything.  Then if I had a problem later in the day (which initially I almost always did), I would do Zantac.  You're effectively treating it rather than "preventing" it but Zantac is not a PPI so it doesn't create the same acid rebound (Prevacid might be ok too, just do the research. But I don't think it's a PPI either). 

In the beginning, I was taking Zantac almost every afternoon, sometimes earlier (I do like coffee).  As time went on, I was able to go 1 day without needing anything...then 2 or 3 days....then a week....Most "programs" say if you want to be able to wean yourself off of the PPIs take them no more than 3 or 4 days a week in the beginning, then reduce it from there.  You just have to know when to cave and take it and when you can really avoid it and take something else.

Eventually I realized I hadn't taken anything or had reflux for a week, then two and so on.  Now I can enjoy just about anything and not worry about having burning reflux later.

Good luck!  I took Prilosec almost daily for probably 4 years, so it took some time to eliminate the dependence so stick with it if you don't see results right away. 

PS - My surgeon also thought I might be eating too much, too quickly or something else. Which I knew I wasn't, so I really was happy to find another cause.

Michele H.
on 9/5/14 11:19 pm - NJ

Thanks....Prevacid is a PPI...I looked it up.  It has only been a week so I am trying to be patient.  I am determined....I hope I am as successful as you are!

Michele

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 54 views