Sneaking A Bite

linison
on 9/26/14 1:15 pm
VSG on 10/13/14 with

I did wonderfully for the first week of my pre-op diet. No headaches, not much tummy trouble, and it really wasn't that hard to stay away from food. But since day 8, I have been struggling. 

Day 8 I went out and did bar trivia with my regular team. There is ALWAYS food at the table. I ate a couple of fried mushrooms and a jalapeño popper, but stayed well under my calorie cap for the day, still getting in my protein. The next day when I weighed, I was still losing a little each day. 

Yesterday, I drank my shakes and my water like normal, had some approved soup, and then just couldn't NOT eat a bite of husband's beefaroni (which was gross, but I ate another bite). This morning, still down a pound from yesterday. 

Tonught, same thing. I finished the last bite of hub's burrito when he was done. He doesn't know that I'm doing this, and I don't know why. Part of me enjoys the thrill of doing something I am not supposed to, even though I don't particularly enjoy the things I'm 'sneaking.' What is wrong with me??

Next week for trivia, I plan to sit at the end of the table away from the food. That will help there. At home, I don't know. I don't even want to tell my husband what I did, it would disappoint him.

anyone else ever felt like this?

themexcellentone
on 9/26/14 3:51 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

The sneaking a bite has to stop...

After surgery, this behavior will get you into trouble.  You won't have ROOM to sneak a bite here and there, and besides...immediately post-op (depending on what your doc's plan is), you won't be eating much if at all.

Work on figuring out why you're doing it, then work on solutions for it.  Figuring out why you're doing it and figuring out how to stop it or redirect the behavior into something that isn't self-destructive is going to be critically important to your success post-op.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

weeziebeth
on 9/26/14 11:17 pm

This is something I have been working on pre-op. Not so much sneaking bites, though that comes into play too, but figuring out why and working on solutions. I am given to self-sabotage and am scared this behavior will be a real challenge for me. 

raine480
on 9/27/14 5:46 am - Parkville, MD

Surely you don't want to have surgery rescheduled? I was required to lose 10 lbs. before surgery and limit/no sugars. Night before procedure, we took the kids to amusement park! Big kid, I wanted everything but actually had nothing bu****er! Almost there! Keeping you in mind and prayers!

TexasTerritory
on 9/26/14 7:12 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
Sneaking is partial truth. Major lifestyle changes are nessecary to improve your health. It is difficult to learn to enjoy life without food but worth all the effort. Good luck.

Blithe1212
on 9/26/14 7:49 pm
VSG on 03/05/14

Is your pro opt diet just liquids? If it is no bites! 

If its just eating right and getting in protien that's not as bad. It's hard as hell! I was only on a liquid diet day before surgery and I couldn't be around food! If I was I was anxious and crabby. 

After surgery is when your lifestyle will really change. It was hard mentally because I realized how much I used food to fill voids or handle stressful situations in my life. I am almost 7 months out and still struggle. Sometimes I get mad because I can't eat a crap ton of food like I want to. I get mad because i am never hungry. Then I sulk and don't want to eat anything...but eventually I get back on track.  

Good for you for making this change in your life! You will have great days and bad days but it gets better!  Stay strong!

diane S.
on 9/27/14 4:21 am

well don't beat yourself up over a bite or two but resolve to stop it.  two weeks of liquids must be really hard. my doctor didn't require that.   why not take a thermous of soup to your bar room trivia event so you have something for yourself?   after surgery you cannot be sneaking bites at least for a few weeks but you probably will not want to.  its all part of establishing new and better habits so that after a year or two you just don't go around indiscriminately grabbing food - like I sure used to do.  gl. you will do  fine. 

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

DeeNY52
on 9/27/14 5:28 am

Hi, boy do I hear you!  I am 10 months from surgery and have lost almost 80 of the 90 lbs I want to lose.

BUT - my problem is just what you mention - sneaking a bite.  and then another bite.  just one more nibble, might as well fini**** off.

I am so happy to no longer be obese, but I am still struggling with accepting that my relationship to food is NOT normal.  Carbs can control me, I can't control carbs. 

One bite leads to another and then I am angry with myself and feel stupid and ashamed.  I need to back to the early days of telling myself- it's the chocolate or another pound lost.  The chocolate is delightful for less than a minute.  And it leads to another chocolate, and another...The pound lost lasts and leads to another pound gone and then another and pretty soon I am not buying clothes in the fat section.

Let's promise ourselves - another bite of protein, another glass of water, another step away from the demon of obesity.

Good luck.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 9/27/14 6:55 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Stop sneaking bites! You know this already, you're about to undergo major surgery and the pre-op diet is to make the surgery a little less dangerous, definitely tell him what you have been doing. After everything do you really want him to go in, stop, then stitch you back up b4 getting the surgery you wanted?

Ok you get a thrill from sneaking food, you really should address this with a therapist, accd to your post you have been sneaking food bites multiple times, you might not be ready for surgery right now. The pre-op diet is hard but you can get thru it!

Your husband should be your support & you should probably be more concerned with how you're disappointing yourself than him. Let him help you, he needs to know that you're struggling rt now. I don't mean to sound harsh, but really you gotta look at addressing the sneaking food thing now, rather than later, you don't want to set yourself up for failure b4 you've even started! Good luck to you!, you can do this!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

(deactivated member)
on 9/27/14 8:24 am

Is a thrill worth your surgery and your success? I question your dedication to a new life style. Keep it up and you will be on here later wondering why your are not loosing. Get your act together now because it wont get any easier.

Most Active