Officially sleeved!

bellejar
on 10/28/14 2:18 pm

My surgery was on Monday at 10:15 am. My surgeons were DR. Gatschet and Dr. Shadle (http://www.sacramentobmi.com/home)  and surgery was performed at Sutter Roseville Medical Center in California. The surgery was a success! Only a tiny hiatal hernia that was easily fixed. I have since been pretty full of gas, burping frequently, but not the other direction really. I have very little pain, just from the gas sometimes, and my incisions are tender. Drinking fluids like a champ and even had 3 bites of SF yogurt for dinner! 

I can't  quite tell what "full" is for me since surgery was yesterday and I am on fluids until next week. When did fullness indicators happen for you?

My DR. said I am allowed to have coffee starting next week. When did y'all start to have coffee?

Any other tips welcome!

P.S. Apparently the surgeons were amazed at how compact and small my insides were. I am 4'9".

Height: 4'9" Surgery Date: 10/28/2014 Pre 2 Week Liquid Diet Weight: 301.5 Day Of Sugery Weight: 290 Current Weight: 242.5 (2/15/15)

mickeymantle
on 10/28/14 3:14 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

congrats

a hot towel does wonders for the gas pain

fulness can take a longtime till you feel it , your nerves have been cut and need to grow back

you will need to measure and track all food and drink

I was allowed decafe as a clear liquid if it was black and as a full liquid when I went home from the hospital , regular was after 1 month

but go by your plan your surgeon is always right for you

welcome to the losers bench

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Prosperitybl2me
on 10/28/14 4:43 pm - Canada
VSG on 09/23/14

Hi  

First of all, congrats!! and Welcome to your "new" world. Exciting isn't it? I wish you great sucess and I hope you find this forum as helpful and as encouraging as I have. I had my surgery in Canada, it's where I'm from. So from what I understand we do things a little different here and of course the surgeons/hosptials are different in directions as well. I was on clear fluids until day 8 after surgery. I was allowed to have 1% milk in the hosptial, which was a treat for me considering I was there for seven days. I had complications and ended up being there longer than I thought. Not only that I was on optifast three weeks prior to surgery, and only optifast, 4 times a day. I've been on soft fluids now and I'm coming to day 29 where I can start to incorporate soft foods...soft fluids, like soup, apple sauce, yogert, I can drink decaf coffee and tea. I start foods like canned salmon, tuna, cottage chesse, etc this friday!! Exciting to have something different. One thing I noticed with myself is that I had a hard time uderstanding "hunger", at times I would feel hunger in my stomach ( not my head) and try to eat something and it would hurt really bad, come to find out I needed a bowel movement. Or other times I would drink water and thats all that I needed. It's been a re identifying experience for sure.  I'm getting better and knowing what hunger is, but it just takes time and of course we're all not going to respond the same. The best suggestion I can say is to take time to "learn" your body and you'll be just fine. FYI if you can I was stear away from anything that has caffeine in it. Caffeine has actually been known to cause "hunger" because it raises your blood sugar and it dehydrates you, which can feel like hunger. That will be another thing you may notice. I noticed the first two weeks after surgery I felt like I was starving which made no sense at all! I had no food for three weeks prior so why was I all of a sudden starving. I learned that I could mistake hunger for thirst, because I was dehydrated. I hope this helps! :)

Luvmygs
on 10/29/14 1:15 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Congratulations! I have to agree with Prosperity, caffeine is a diuretic and can be dehydrating. Its challenging already to stay hydrated in the early stages, I'd stay away from it for now. Good luck.

Most Active