Back Surgery - Advice Needed

AutumnAlways
on 11/15/14 5:57 am

I will be having back surgery on Monday (a lumbar microdiscectomy). I am nervous because even though they want me up and walking after the surgery, I won't be driving for two weeks and PT isn't until four weeks after the surgery. I'm terrified of taking exercise out of the equation for a while.

Should I substitute a meal with a protein shake to stay on point? Will I need more protein to heal? Any advice is welcome. Thank you!

Gwen M.
on 11/15/14 8:40 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think these would be excellent questions to ask your surgeon - both bariatric and the back one!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

AutumnAlways
on 11/15/14 9:23 am

Thanks, Gwen. I will definitely check with them next week! 

acbbrown
on 11/15/14 12:45 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I just had a back surgery #2 about 2 weeks ago. I gained weight after both because I was bored and stuck inside and eating justy happened to be more interesting than staring at the walls. You definitely need increased protein to heal but just dont go overboard calorie wise. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

MAchick
on 11/15/14 8:56 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

Protein does promote healing, that's a fact. How much you need to increase or if you need to increase at all would be up to your surgeons and practitioners. You mentioned you were terrified of taking out exercise,  is that because you're afraid of possible deconditioning or specifically about weight loss? 

AutumnAlways
on 11/15/14 9:00 pm

I'm concerned about weight loss. I want to make sure I don't gain weight back. 

MAchick
on 11/15/14 9:08 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

Exercise is important for your overall health and fitness. The thing with this surgery is that your body can still lose weight with just controlling your eating,  though exercise is pretty important. I would consult both of your surgeons and ask for  professional suggestions. Lay down your concerns and ask them specific questions regarding your WLS and back surgery. 

I'm having a lot of back issues too at the moment and am a bit nervous about back surgery too!

lfenix
on 11/15/14 9:34 pm
VSG on 10/27/14 with

I had that surgery in 2005, when it wasn't done laproscopically and it was not that bad.  I was able to walk again within a day or two, and I had a 3 in*****ision in my back.  I would think with the less invasive method of surgery that you would have no trouble keeping up with your walking routine or replacing your exercise with brisk walking for a few weeks.  Also, as I recall, they want you doing back strengthening exercises particularly abdominal strengthening exercises, so you should still be able to incorporate upper body, and some leg exercises.  You just have to be careful with the lower back.  I would check with your surgeon and I would anticipate some stalling and perhaps some water retention from the surgery.  You will lose it once you return to you normal routine,  

I wouldn't worry too much about the temporary set back.  As soon as you heal, you will no longer be in pain and you will wish you had done the surgery sooner.  I wished I had.  9 years later and I've had no significant lower back pain since.

Good luck!

54, Height 5'2", HW 229 PreOp Diet SW 220  Surg W 214 (10/27/14) GW 135 CW 192

AutumnAlways
on 11/15/14 10:30 pm

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your stories and advice. This is my second back surgery and unfortunately it will be open surgery. I will definitely be consulting my docs on Monday. Have a wonderful day!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views