How do you handle stress eating post-op?

linison
on 11/15/14 12:31 am
VSG on 10/13/14 with

Hey everyone.  Firstly, my one-month surgiversary was two days ago, and as of this morning I'm down 50lbs overall, and 20 since surgery (this is amazing news.  I was so worried this wouldn't work for me).

Secondly, I was a BIG TIME stress eater pre-op, and I am finding myself getting those urges more and more over the past few days, especially when things are getting hectic with work and end-of-year money worries set in.  I have experienced the pain and discomfort and wanting ever-so-slightly to die that comes with eating too fast or too much as I'm learning how to work this tool I've been given.  But I need some tools to help keep me out of the stress/shame/**** spiral that my life can become when I stress-eat nonstop.

Were any of you riding the stress eating train?  How have you dealt with those urges since surgery?  What do you do instead?  Thank you for all the advice.  This can be a pretty great support community.  

Gwen M.
on 11/15/14 12:57 am, edited 11/15/14 1:03 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I've worked hard to find different outlets for stress than food.  There was a post here recently about this very topic, maybe I can find it for you.  

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/5276818/How-do-you-dea l-with-stress/

Here you go!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

susan88
on 11/15/14 1:59 am
VSG on 08/08/14 with

I was a huge stress eater before this surgery. I have had an extremely stressful last 30 days and have found some spicy pepper jack cheese spread that I really like.  I munch on it with celery sticks.  The celery really fills me up.  I also found some expensive beef jerky from Oregon Trail at a trade show and much on it when I am stressed. The jerky takes a long time to eat and satisfies the crunch.  Find a low carb protein food (that isn't a slider)  that you like and use it as a treat.  For me, it is the act of eating, not the sugar that I need. 

I realize you are only one month out so you can't have all foods.  It will get easier when you can tolerate more foods. 

I am amazed I got thru this month without gaining.  This is a first in my life.  I didn't loose as much as I would have liked but getting thru the stressful times and still seeing the scale move down is a huge motivator. 

You can do it! Hang in there. 

greensleeved
on 11/15/14 11:04 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

GUM! (as soon as your dr clears you). The repetitive motion seems to make me less anxious and take the place of stress eating, though I generally only do it at home since it's kind of obnoxious. And drinking water. It fills you up and gives your hands and mouth something to do.

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

Allison L.
on 11/15/14 1:39 pm - Berkeley, CA

I've definitely struggled with stress eating, and had ups and downs both pre-op and post-op. Something that's been working for me is going to both therapy and Overeaters Anonymous meetings. I'm trying to get at what's behind the stress eating and why I need to use food. I know that's kind of a longer-term solution, but it also can offer shorter-term coping mechanisms. Good luck. I know it's hard, but you can do it.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 34 views