Heartburn!!

sdkitty
on 12/16/14 5:31 pm

My surgery was June 17th and since I had surgery one of my sayings has been "if I didn't even lose a single pound with this surgery, it was worth all of it because I got rid of my heartburn' (I had a hiatal hernia repair during surgery). I had SEVERE heartburn pre-surgery. I would wake up in the middle of the night with the acid in my throat and lungs all while taking a PPI, but since surgery it has been 90 percent gone.

Well guess what? It's 4:30am and I'm awake with the same pre-surgery heartburn I had :( It's not in my throat or lungs thankfully, but it is severe.

I'm not sure what changed, but it's been going on all week. I'm still on my PPI, but it's like it's not helping at all. Having heartburn again is one of my worst fears, it was SO incredible living without it for 6 months. Any suggestions??

Gwen M.
on 12/16/14 8:46 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Ask the doc for a stronger PPI?  Protonix seems to help a lot of people. You might also want to get checked out for a hernia. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

sechax0r
on 12/16/14 8:47 pm
VSG on 11/03/14

Call your surgeon and get a different/stronger PPI? I know some people have to try several to focus in on one that works. The other thought I had was did you eat something out of the ordinary last night? If so, don't do that again :)

sdkitty
on 12/16/14 9:25 pm

I will call him. I'm currently on Omeprazole. I had a hernia repaired at the time of my surgery. Is it possible for a hernia to come back so fast?..and also the heartburn has been going on for the past week. I haven't been eating anything different. I have been drinking a lot of coffee, but it's decaf so I wouldn't think that would effect it this much. Before surgery, even water would give me reflux and it's almost back to that point again. :(

I did switch sweeteners in my coffee. That's the only thing I can think of that is different than normal.

hollykim
on 12/16/14 10:56 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

reflux can be a side effect of the sleeve as a sleeve is a highly pressurized organ now. I would work on finding a PP I that works. You may have to take it at a different time of day,like at bedtime or twice a day. 

Tracy D.
on 12/17/14 2:36 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I would echo the need to call your doc and get a different/higher dose PPI.  And make sure you are doing all the things to help this that you were doing before VSG:  

1.  Complete all eating and drinking at least 2 hours before bed

2.  Elevate the head of your bed

3.  Keep a journal to see if certain foods make this worse (for me, anything tomato-based is going to cause a problem regardless of my medication)

I hope you can get this under control again because it SUCKS to get woken up in the middle of the night with this crap :-(   

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active