Frustrated with weightloss surgeon!

KattattaK
on 12/30/14 11:45 pm

Sooooo I went to see my wl surgeon tuesday, and he told me that mu band doesn't need to be removed even though it's torn in 2 places and that it doesn't pose a threat to my health in ANY way. He also actually offered to fix it for me, which I thought was REALLY interesting, considering I had been asking and pleading for him to do that years ago when The company first told me about the issues with my band, and he was ALWAYS against it and said he wouldn't do that but would be willing to revise me to a sleeve. He also said that my weight/BMI wasn't high enough for the RnY, despite PCOS and insulin resistance syndrome. Now, all of a sudden, he has had a change of heart, I guess (oh, and I weigh less now than I did when he last saw me and told me he wouldn't do RnY due to my "low" weight). The options he has now given me are as follows:

Remove band and be done for now

OR

Repair tubing and port of existing band

OR

Remove band and revise to sleeve during same surgery 

OR

Remove band and revise to RnY

I find this all very interesting, and paranoia is rearing it's ugly head as I truly feel as if this man is just looking to do ANY type of surgery just to make a quick buck! As he spoke my options to me, I sarcastically repeated everything back to him. I told him I am not interested in further wls at this time, but maybe one day down the road. That is when he started talking about repairing my band port and tubing, as if he was desperate to at least make some amount of money. I could be totally overreacting, but I don't trust this guy. I would love to see someone else, but unfortunately, these wls surgeons in my area ALL know each other and are part of a tight-knit group, and I've been through that before and don't ever want to go through it again. I also asked him if he does the DS, and rather than answer yes or no (I'm sure he DOESN'T do it), he quickly and firmly told me he would absolutely NOT recommend the DS for me at my weight. I'm so confused, and have no idea what I'm going to do. I'm so frustrated and just plain sad. I think I will start by speaking with my pcp and seeing what my options are as far as other surgeons I can see without causing any unnecessary drama. By the way, as of tuesday, my weight and height are 220 and 5'4. Thanks for listening to my long-winded rant! You guys ROCK. Happy NewYear Everyone!!!

hollykim
on 12/31/14 12:37 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 31, 2014 at 7:45 AM Pacific Time, KattattaK wrote:

Sooooo I went to see my wl surgeon tuesday, and he told me that mu band doesn't need to be removed even though it's torn in 2 places and that it doesn't pose a threat to my health in ANY way. He also actually offered to fix it for me, which I thought was REALLY interesting, considering I had been asking and pleading for him to do that years ago when The company first told me about the issues with my band, and he was ALWAYS against it and said he wouldn't do that but would be willing to revise me to a sleeve. He also said that my weight/BMI wasn't high enough for the RnY, despite PCOS and insulin resistance syndrome. Now, all of a sudden, he has had a change of heart, I guess (oh, and I weigh less now than I did when he last saw me and told me he wouldn't do RnY due to my "low" weight). The options he has now given me are as follows:

Remove band and be done for now

OR

Repair tubing and port of existing band

OR

Remove band and revise to sleeve during same surgery 

OR

Remove band and revise to RnY

I find this all very interesting, and paranoia is rearing it's ugly head as I truly feel as if this man is just looking to do ANY type of surgery just to make a quick buck! As he spoke my options to me, I sarcastically repeated everything back to him. I told him I am not interested in further wls at this time, but maybe one day down the road. That is when he started talking about repairing my band port and tubing, as if he was desperate to at least make some amount of money. I could be totally overreacting, but I don't trust this guy. I would love to see someone else, but unfortunately, these wls surgeons in my area ALL know each other and are part of a tight-knit group, and I've been through that before and don't ever want to go through it again. I also asked him if he does the DS, and rather than answer yes or no (I'm sure he DOESN'T do it), he quickly and firmly told me he would absolutely NOT recommend the DS for me at my weight. I'm so confused, and have no idea what I'm going to do. I'm so frustrated and just plain sad. I think I will start by speaking with my pcp and seeing what my options are as far as other surgeons I can see without causing any unnecessary drama. By the way, as of tuesday, my weight and height are 220 and 5'4. Thanks for listening to my long-winded rant! You guys ROCK. Happy NewYear Everyone!!!

personally,  I would find a new surgeon if. I had to leave my town to find one. I wouldn't let him do anything more to. Me,he IS just looking to make a buck. Many insurances will only cover one revision,so I would want to surely make this revision my last one. GL

KattattaK
on 12/31/14 1:12 am

Thanks so much for your reply!!! Yes, I will speak to my pcp and see which other surgeons I am eligible to see under my coverage. 

November18
on 12/31/14 12:37 am
VSG on 11/18/14

I'd just get the band removed. I wouldn't like that inside of me if it was broken. I'm not sure from your post exactly what you were looking for? I thought you wanted the band removed and he wouldn't do it, but you listed it as one of the options he gave you. Good Luck, I hope you can decide.

Bonnie

KattattaK
on 12/31/14 1:24 am

Bonnie, thanks so much for your response. I'm apologize for my confusing words. I was ranting and had so much to just get out. lol. Yes, I want it removed and WILL be having it removed. My problem is with the surgeon who is now offering options that he was against before. I REALLY have a problem with the fact that he is NOW interested in fixing my band since I have told him I'm not interested in a revision. Just seems as if he's out to make money. When I asked him about that 5 years ago, when I first informed him of the issue with my band, he adamantly refused to repair it. At THAT time, I was looking to have it repaired. However, I am no longer interested in that and just want this thing out of me. It also bothers me that he is now offering to perform the RnY when before he told me my weight/BMI wasn't high enough and I actually weigh 14 pounds less than I did then. Just weird. I don't trust the man is all. Don't even want him to do my removal. Gonna see if I can find another surgeon. 

Amy M.
on 12/31/14 12:54 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

I'm a little confused by your post as well. Are you seeking a revision or do you want your band removed?  To me it doesn't really sound as if he's just trying to make money off of you especially since he denied offering you the DS. It sounds more like he's trying to give you options. If you are looking to lose more weight it may be beneficial to you to get the revision instead of just the repair or removal. If you get it removed your insurance company might not approve further WLS in the future if you change your mind. Just my opinion. 

KattattaK
on 12/31/14 1:34 am

Hi Amy. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Sorry about the confusion. I DO want the band removed and will be having it removed. Just find it interesting that the surgeon is now offering options that he was totally against before. He now offers me the RnY but told me my weight/BMI wasn't high enough before and I actually weigh 14 lbs less now. He was completely against repairing my band before when I wanted it repaired but is now offering to repair it when I tell him I only want it removed and am not interested in a revision at this time. Just doesn't seem right not when he was SO against it before. I may want one down the road, but now is not a good time for me. Hopefully, if I do decide to have some type of wls again, it will be covered. If not, I will have to work on self pay. I will cross that bridge when I come to it. So, for now, I WILL be having my band removed, but I am just interested in finding another surgeon to do it. 

Amy M.
on 12/31/14 1:47 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

Ok I see your point now. It does seem a little fishy that he is now telling you that you have more options. Did you ask him why you are suddenly qualified for RnY now but not before?  I'd be interested to hear him explain himself.  I agree that it's probably best to find a different surgeon and get a second opinion. 

KattattaK
on 12/31/14 1:57 am

Thanks, Amy. Again, I apologize for the crazy message. I was on a roll! Lol. I didn't ask him. I have had words with him in the past to the point where he and I have gotten into a shouting match (because he had refused time and time again to remove my band for years). I have left that man's office in tears on many occasions. I am finally at a place in my life where I realize my worth and that I don't have to deal with anyone treating me badly. I was having a good day, and did not even want to go there with him! I just want to be done with him. As I walked out, I knew I wouldn't be returning to him. I am just so emotional about all this, which is part of the reason I'm so afraid to have revision surgery. I'm just scared. I am hoping to find a surgeon I am comfortable with and perhaps together we can work on my options after band removal. 

56sunShine14
on 12/31/14 1:28 am

I haven't even finished reading your post and I am telling you, not asking , not advising, TELLING you - RUN!!!!

Get a different, better and healthier surgeon - NOW.  There is nothing more to say here.  Don't even say anything to him, maybe ask for your surgery records.  you don't have to go thru his office I don't think to do this.  Call the medical Records office at the hospital where you had surgery and request a full copy of your bariatric surgery, including all of the surgeons notes.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 57 views