Several VSG general questions for those who have experienced it

lisa_e
on 1/10/15 12:24 pm - STRASBURG, PA

Hello! I started at 387 and am now down to 291 by diet and nutrition. However, I am contemplating the sleeve surgery as I approach my last month. I know this is such a broad question, but I would like to hear any opinions and experiences, good and bad to help me figure this out. Ultimately I am aware that I should make the decision for myself, but I am kinda torn already being an indecisive individual. I am interested in what made you decide to go for the surgery, how you feel in the weeks right after surgery, does anyone regret their decision, has anyone lost a significant amount of weight prior to surgery and decided not to get it, what are some of/if any complications you have had, and what do u wish u knew before or after the surgery ahead of time? I appreciate your help and opinions, thank you.

mickeymantle
on 1/10/15 2:33 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I lost 75 lb pre op but knew I could never loss it all and keep it off without help 

the first few days are unpleasant mild pain from the surgery and gas pain in your shoulder fora few days a hot towel helps and lots of walking

my only regret is not getting the surgery years ago , best thing I ever did for myself

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

lisa_e
on 1/10/15 5:03 pm - STRASBURG, PA

thank you

Justme7
on 1/10/15 2:36 pm - ID

I have not updated my profile in two months, but you can go and read my story and I will give you a quick update now.  I started at about 395-400 pounds at 6 feet tall.  I tried many times over the years to loose weight and once lost over 120 pounds with diet and excercise as I was going to do the lap band.  I decided to not do the lap band as I was doing so well with diet and exercise.  I then put all the lost weight back on plus a little more.  I am a person who can't make decisions in life as I am afraid of doing the wrong thing.  I canceled VSG surgery a few times and finally made the decision to have surgery.  I was under so much stress about having surgery and even had the dry heaves the day of surgery.  I read posts here for many months and it helped me make a decision to finally have surgery. It still blows my mind that I made it to the table to have surgery (the day of surgery I wanted to run out of the hospital).  I have lost over 100 pounds in 5 months and am glad that I had surgery.  At some point you just have to make the leap as I did or you will be in a cycle all your life of loosing and gaining weight. I thought many times I could loose weight on my own and keep it off for life. The surgery provides a great tool. I do have a few concerns as I don't get enough protein and water.  I mostly eat cheese and high protein yogurt and don't drink enough water.  It is so hard as I am NEVER hungry and have to force myself to eat.  Sometimes I may have meat from McDonalds to get more protein.  I have discovered that I can't eat chicken as it gets stuck and comes back up after about a half hour.  I still at times eat too fast or two much as I forget about having surgery and food comes back up.  I am kind of concerned that at some point  I will be at my goal weight and not be able to stop loosing weight.  I really need to eat more, but is is so hard when you are not hungry and the sight and smell of food makes you sick. I have lost over 100 pounds and done little to NO exercise.  I am now afraid to exercise as I have lost so much weight in 5 months and don't want to loose at a faster rate.  I think you will find few people on this site who are not happy they had surgery.  Even the people that have had complications have said they would have surgery again in a heart beat.  

lisa_e
on 1/10/15 5:03 pm - STRASBURG, PA

thank you

Mary Gee
on 1/10/15 5:06 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
I lost about 60 pounds pre-op; never considered not going forward with the surgery because in the past I was successful at losing weight but unsuccessful in keeping it off. After the surgery I experienced some discomfort for about a week or so - but not enough to call the surgeon to request pain meds. I never regretted having the surgery . It has changed my life. I feel happier than ever. Being morbidly obese prevented me from doing so many things. Go for it!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

lisa_e
on 1/10/15 7:05 pm - STRASBURG, PA

thank you

cappy11448
on 1/10/15 9:55 pm

I was near the same starting weight as you (385 pounds).  I lost 50 pounds before surgery, and thought about whether I could do it on my own and avoid the surgery.  But the first time I got stressed out, I remembered all the times I lost a good amount of weight and then when I went off the diet, I gained it all back quickly.  I knew I had to do something different.

I had the surgery, and I now weigh 157 pounds with a BMI of 24.  I know I could not have done it without the surgery.  I was really disciplined and worked hard at it, but I'm also the person who tried and tried, but ended up at 385 pounds!  The weight loss surgery really works.  It changes your physiology so the weight loss is possible --- not easy, but possible.

The surgery itself was uneventful.  I was scared, but I felt like my life was going to be a downward spiral without it, so I was resigned to take whatever risk was present.  I had little pain, no nausea (thanks to lots of anti-nausea drugs) and I was out and about after 5 days.  I did feel like I had the flu for the first 3 days - headache, sleepy, etc.  but it was all manageable.  And I tired quickly for the first few months, but I'm in my 60's so that may be why.

The first few months after surgery were not fun, but manageable.  It hard when you can eat so little, and your tummy is sensitive.  For a while, the thought of food made me queezy.  Not sick but just not wanting to eat.  I don't think I felt "normal" again until 6 to 8 months post-surgery.

But now I feel great.  No more meds, no more sleep apnea, no more joint pain.  I fit into normal sized clothing and I feel great!

My advice is follow your program diligently.  I had a friend/acquaintance who had the surgery 5 years before I did, and really pushed me to consider it.  When I finally decided to do it, I called her and she told me she had gained most of her weight back.  She had been so enthusiastic and committed to the process, and yet she failed.  It put the fear of God in me, and I decided that if I was going to do something as drastic as removing most of my stomach, I was darn-well going to follow the plan.   The thing to remember is that you can defeat yourself.  Its not a magic pill.  The surgery makes it possible, but you will be the one doing the work. 

I wish you the best with your decision and your weight loss process.  I highly recommend it.  It changed my life.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

lisa_e
on 1/14/15 10:20 am - STRASBURG, PA

Thank you

K. Walker
on 1/10/15 9:58 pm

Lisa, I had the surgery last Wednesday after considering it for a few years.  I kept holding on to "I can do this on my own, if I can just get it together and make it a priority".  I would lose weight, but then gain it back plus a few pounds. I have taken two pain pills since I got home on Friday and honestly, I would have been fine without them, but I want to rest comfortably because I plan to go back to work Monday and I wanted to be rested. I do have a desk job and work from home 50% of the time so that helps with returning to work so quick. One of the things that made me take the plunge was I heard at the seminar that having the surgery and losing weight can extend life expectancy by 13 years compared to someone who did not lose the weight. I had my reservations about the surgery as most do before; however, at some point, I became more scared of not having the surgery. I do use this site to learn more of what to expect before, during, and after the surgery and I plan to join a support group soon.  My only regret is not pursuing this before now. I can already tell my body is happier and I feel wonderful. Good luck and best wishes. 

Weight: Highest 181 / Pre-op 177 / Surgery 167

Weight: Current 145 / Goal 105

Weight: Lost 36 pounds from highest weight (started weight loss surgery process)

4 Feet 11 Inches / BMI 35 @ Surgery

VSG Surgery Date 01/07/2015

Most Active