6 Years Post Op - What a Journey

Lisa N.
on 1/10/15 2:08 am

Oh my goodness, it has been six years since I had my sleeve and what a journey.  Where in the world should I start!!!  

Six years ago I weighted in at 293 and today I weigh in at 206.  My original smallest weight after my surgery was 198, a whooping 95 lb loss due to my surgery.  Over the six years I did gain to 226 and have recently (within the last two months) lost 20 lbs and I'm not done.  Two years ago I started hurting and feeling that something was wrong and didn't understand what.  I did know that I was deficient in a few vitamins and my primary care doctor tried to help the best he could.  I decided to change doctors and that was what it took to find what was going on with the pain and other things I didn't know about.  This doctor can read blood work like nobodies business! The pain was from lack of vitamin d, lack of folic acid and I have a thyroid issue.   In addition she found that my A1C was exactly where it should be  4.9!!! BUT, once insulin resistant always insulin resistant, my fat cells are starving and want to get fat again.  My pancreas was producing insulin twice what it should have been at a fasting state.  With all that said, she placed me on Victosa, one shot daily and told me that I should have NO carbs.  'Twenty pounds gained after five years is not so bad but what will it be after ten years.'  I told her no way! I want it all gone.  I go for a check up in two weeks but I am very satisfied with my new doctor and her direction.  

Continuing on my journey, wow, these six years have been amazing. It is getting so hard to believe that at one time I couldn't hardly walk, had no self-esteem and I didn't really see what I looked like but knew I was miserable.  I now see an active, happy and sometimes attractive person.  I still am amazed that when I touch my shoulders that I actually have bones there and can feel them, haha.  I had a tummy tuck a year ago to remove skin....oh my! That was the best boost I could ever give myself.  Don't get me wrong I am not all that self confident, my husband still has to remind me that I am attractive because I do seem to forget that he sees so much more than what my head tells me.  I am happy with where I am and where I came from but I am still a work in progress.

Vertical sleeve surgery has saved my life.  I am proud to have traveled the road I have and I so look forward to enjoying my many years of freedom from the load that has been removed. 

Grim_Traveller
on 1/10/15 2:49 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Thanks for checking in. I'm glad you're still working hard to figure things out.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

TeressaJ
on 1/10/15 3:47 am

You've got a great attitude! I'm 6 1/2 months post op and still 'doin' the work'! I hope I can maintain a good attitude at 6 years out!

Lisa N.
on 1/10/15 3:50 am

Teresa you will. As you meet your goals your motivation will skyrocket each ounce/lb/milestone will push you further and one day you will turn around and see your journey.  Keep up the good work.

mattman
on 1/10/15 6:16 pm - Chifley, Australia

What a journey, congrats on the result and glad you changed Dr's.

I'm 7 years and still get regular blood checks (not as regular as I should) often find that my B and D are low and need topping up.

Actually now that I mention it I'm feeling a bit run down... no doubt due again.  :-)

Matt

Lost 100 pounds and in onederland in under 6 months....!   I love my VSG...!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views