New to this.

Smoochie70
on 1/13/15 4:59 am - Canada

Hi everyone. Iam new to this. I want start out by saying though that iam already so inspired by all the stories i have read. It really gives me hope, like i have never had before. I have had the first appointment with my surgeon Dec. 6th. So i have started the process. I have my first appointment for one of the tests my surgeon wants on Jan 26th i have the test to see if i have sleep apnea.  The one thing iam struggling with right now is who do i tell about this exciting journey i have started.  I have told some people and they response is mixed. Iam feeling kinda weird about it. I haven even told my best friend of 33 years. Iam so afraid of what she will say. I just dont want people to discourage me. I also dont want people to look at me life i have 2 heads. lol. So i guess i wanna know how people reacted in everyones life when they shared the news with them. Thanks for listening. 

Gwen M.
on 1/13/15 5:04 am
VSG on 03/13/14

There was a post earlier today on this very topic -- http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/5282980/Discussing-WLS -with-family-friends/

I'll paste my reply -- 

Pre-op, I only told the people who I felt needed to know in case I died on the operating table.  So I told my partners (obv), my parents, my brother, and my three best friends.  I also told my healthcare professionals and my voice teacher because my voice studies would be impacted by my surgery and recovery.  

Post-op, I shared with people whenever it came up in conversation and then I posted on Facebook to tell everyone about four months post-op.  Which was a great experience - everyone was super supportive and they've continued to be so.  Then, in December, my parents included my VSG in their Christmas Letter.  Eek.  So I pretty much have been completely open about this which works very well for me, I'd rather be in control of the information that's out there - know what I mean?  Lying or hiding was never an option for me.  

I'd like to think that I'm a good ambassador for WLS :)

I've only had one person be less than 100% supportive, and that was my bff.  He hasn't mentioned/acknowledged my weight loss or my hard work at all, which is really weird and awkward for me.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Smoochie70
on 1/13/15 5:12 am - Canada

Thanks Gwen I have told my husband, my brother, one of my co-workers, my health care people, and 1 friend. My brother has been the most supportive. He even guessed before i told him. I have been talking alot on my facebook about all the healthy changes i have been making. I also have reconnected with a friend from years ago that had RNY and she has been awesome. 

Smoochie70
on 1/13/15 5:18 am - Canada

Thanks Gwen. I have told my husband, my brother, my health care providers, one of my co-workers and 1 friend. My brother has been amazing. He guessed before i even told him. He put the pieces together by some of my facebook posts about getting healthier.  My husband is great too. He is just a bit overwhelmed by all of it. I have also reconnected with a friends from many years ago who had RNY she has been awesome. She doesnt live in the same town as me though. I have been reaching out and making some online friends close to me. I wanna start a support group in the town i live. There used to be one here but it is no more. 

Smoochie70
on 1/13/15 5:19 am - Canada

OOOPS. Sorry my post went through twice. lol

Dee R.
on 1/13/15 8:52 am - CA

Before my surgery I really only told my immediate family, my best friends, and a few co-workers.  After my surgery. I've told anyone that has asked.  I'm very open about it.  I'm proud of what I've done so far.  I have yet to have anyone say a negative thing to my face.  Behind my back, who knows.  And who cares really.  It was my decision anyway.  It was the best thing I have ever done!

Dee

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views