Nutritionist

Flabaway
on 1/13/15 2:17 pm
VSG on 01/05/15 with

i asked my surgeon if I should see a nutritionist, since I thought I would be seeing one there rather than handed a list of suggested eating.(he did say get blood tests once a year from my pcp) and he said I should wait 4 months to see one. Does that sound right to you guys? 

In the meantime I've bought a book on protein shakes, weightloss surgery cookbook and a book on protein counting. Because, you know, I'm a guy, and I usually get thrown out of the kitchen and told to go do man things. 

mickeymantle
on 1/13/15 2:28 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

check out myfitnesspal.com ether online or the app  It keeps track of what you eat

just check off the food and the amount and it keeps track of cal , protein carbs fat what ever you tell it and they have most food listed on it , everything from Costco most fast food restaurants most name brand food 

very easy

mostly post surgery you want around 800 cal 80 gm protien 30 carbs 65+ oz water

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Flabaway
on 1/13/15 2:41 pm
VSG on 01/05/15 with

Thanks,I'll check that out in the morning.

poet_kelly
on 1/13/15 2:46 pm - OH

No, it doesn't.  I recommend seeing a registered dietician, not a nutritionist.  That way you know you're seeing someone with a degree in nutrition that is licensed by the state.  I would see a RD before having surgery.  That way you know what to eat and what vitamins you need from the start.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

White Dove
on 1/13/15 6:25 pm - Warren, OH

Kelly is right.  I saw a dietician and a therapist for six months before my surgery.  I attended individual sessions monthly with the dietician and also went to group sessions on nutrition.  By the time I had surgery I had my meal plans and vitamin schedules in place.

I am not a guy and know my way around a kitchen quite well, but this was all new to me.  Learning what to change is crucial to making the surgery work for you.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Tracy D.
on 1/14/15 1:02 am, edited 1/14/15 1:03 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

^^^What she says.  Any one who can read and right can get certified as a nutritionist.  Lots of people at those muscle head places (GNC, Max Muscle) are "nutritionists" but it doesn't make them any more qualified to tell you what/how to eat post-op than it does your next-door neighbor.  

Go to a RD who has EXPERIENCE with bariatric patients - that's key.  Because even RD's can get it wrong if they aren't hip to the special needs of post-bariatric patients.  And I would absolutely see one BEFORE surgery. 

ETA:  Oops!  I see now that you're post op.  Get yourself to a RD now.  This is too important to wait until 4 months out. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

AngCan2
on 1/13/15 8:00 pm
VSG on 10/17/14

I had to see my nutritionist for insurance reasons and am really glad I went.  She laid out a lot of information of the food stages and she also gave a lot of tips on how to eat after the surgery, which foods are easier to start with, etc.  I highly recommend seeing one that has experience with WLS patients.

Dan1962
on 1/13/15 9:06 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

I would stongly recommend you see a dietician.  And if it isn't part of the program with that surgeon, change surgeons.  I learned so much meeting with mine 6 or 7 times.  Now after the sugery, I find her to be a great resource.  I consider myself reasonably intellegent (a stinkin genius to my friends) and the stuff I thought I was doing right was honestly 180 degrees from being right.  Good luck!

GoBlueGirl1998
on 1/13/15 9:59 pm - MI

I had to see a nutritionist three times before surgery and I'm 10 weeks out and I've seen my NUT twice since surgery. I highly recommend it!! Very insightful and helpful.

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

SATXVSG
on 1/13/15 11:26 pm, edited 1/13/15 11:27 pm - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

My surgeon's office had the nutritionist on staff and his office followed up with the blood work. The nutritionist had a class 1 week post op to go over food choices, when to progress and vitamins. 

I saw my surgeon 1 week post op and met with his staff at 1, 2, 3 and 6 month post surgery.   They want to see me at the 1 year mark and annually after that.  They want blood work each time to make sure nutrition is not a problem.  I can get in anytime if I feel the need. 

I am glad they have a more holistic approach.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

Most Active