Feel horrible after eating

NYMom38
on 1/14/15 7:42 am

I'm 6 weeks out and on soft foods.  Tonight, I had 2 1/2 oz ground turkey and about 2 oz mushy cauliflower.  I've had this meal quite a few times.  All of a sudden I got tremendous nausea and felt like I had to throw up.  I ran and got a Zofran and took it.  I was instructed to do that if I ever felt I had to throw up.

I've been spitting up saliva and a little heaving the last 1/2 hr.    I have pain in my chest like the food is sitting there.  Still nauseous.

what happened??  Could something be stuck?  What can I do?   Should I call the Dr?

Sleeved 12/3/14

Gwen M.
on 1/14/15 7:54 am, edited 1/14/15 7:54 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It seems likely that you ate too much or too fast. If it keeps happening, definitely talk to your surgeon. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

PrayMore
on 1/14/15 8:09 am

I've heard from friends that the sleeve can be tighter at different times - or maybe the healing is at a different stage and you ate too much at this particular. Or like Gwen suggested, too fast? Another friend was eating up to 4 oz, but then started feeling bad after 2 oz several weeks in... I hope this passes for you. I'm at Week 5 myself. I can do about 3 oz right now... sometimes more. Good luck to you! Hope you feel better!

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

drea29
on 1/14/15 8:32 am

Sounds like you ate too fast or just a bite too much.  The saliva is the foamies as we call them.  Horrible. You will feel crappy for a few hours, but it should pass. If not , call the doc.  

NateH
on 1/14/15 8:33 am
VSG on 09/26/14

Sometimes I feel this if I eat too fast. Maybe that's the case? Don't be afraid to call your surgeon; better to ask than be in pain/worry. 

HW: 450
SW: 428 9/26/14
Reached 'normal' BMI (24.9) with a weight of 199.9: 2/5/2016

happytoloose
on 1/14/15 9:24 am

Well, I like to think its from eating too fast.

It's happened to me several times, just miserable.

I have, since the last time it happened about a month ago, paid alot more attention to the basics.

Small bites

Chew till mush

Pause between bites

No drinking while eating

Stop at first full feeling

Seems to work for me.

It's part of the will power boost, you get tired of the feeling and avoid it.

Over a month now since its got to me.

Still learning my sleeve. I can eat virtually anything now, just smaller portions of food.

I'm 11 weeks out now, and the restriction is real for me. I try not to overeat my sleeve, eat mindfully.

Hope this helps

Rod

TeressaJ
on 1/14/15 11:15 am

I do this when I eat too fast. I'm 6 months out and still have to be careful and stay mindful of every bite. Eating is now like a job for me. I must eat for nutrition but have to follow the rules to get this job done. The feeling would usually last 30 minutes to an hour then all would be fine.

mar17
on 1/14/15 11:22 am

I am at 6 weeks as well, and i have often felt that way when I eat ground meat.  Doesn't seem to happen with chicken.  I think there is a point for me where one more bite makes me sick.  Then I have to throw up.  I am worried about throwing up - how could that effect the sleeve?  I also had carbs yesterday and for the first time, I felt really hungry today.  Is that because of the carbs?

NYMom38
on 1/14/15 11:54 am

Thank you for your replies!  I ended up throwing up (just came out with a burp), so I called the surgeon.   Liquids/puréed tomorrow.  I have an appt next week, but if it happens again this week, they'll have me seen by my surgeon.   

Im im going to be so careful with tiny bites, chewing, and slowing down.  I think I may have eaten too fast.

Sleeved 12/3/14

StephK10
on 1/14/15 9:08 pm

I don't know if you have a smart phone, but this has helped me.  I have ALWAYS eaten too fast.  I'm a nurse, and we had to shovel in food whenever we got a chance.  It's pretty ingrained in me.  Someone suggested the Eat Slower app to me.  You can set the interval between bites.  It definitely helps me.  It also helped me realize that, since I had so much time left between bites, that I wasn't chewing as much as I should.  

It's a free app.  Another good one is the Bariatric Timer, which tells you when you can eat and drink, if you're having trouble timing that out (which I was!).

Height: 5'7" HighW: 266 SSW: 253 Surgery date: 11/17/14 CW 165.4

(FIRST GOAL OF 170 REACHED 6/30/15)  NEW GOAL: 159 (BMI of "normal")

M1: 24 M2: 15 M3: 11  M4: 10  M5: 8  M6: 8 M7: 5 M8: 3 M9: 3

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 28 views