I made the super hard decision to postpone surgery.

Beatriz
on 1/14/15 1:29 pm

I cried myself to sleep last night, but I know it is ultimately the best decision. 

I was scheduled to go in on Monday and have been doing great on my liver shrinking diet. I went in to my preop appointment and then to talk to the rep about payment. I recently found out that I qualify for insurance at my job, but hadn't signed up yet. At the appointment with the rep, she said that if I could get double coverage, I would probably have zero out of pocket. I looked into it and it appears she is correct. I was on a 30% co-pay, so it could be saving a huge amount. 

Unfortunately, the new insurance would not be effective until 1/25- a week past my planned date. And I had my mom coming and my mother in law coming to help with the kids. 

I'm sure only you guys truly understand what it was like to have to make the decision- how being so close and so ready- and to have to wait.  

So I postponed my surgery, and teared up as the scheduler told me the next available date was March 9. I am staying on my LSD in case there is a last minute cancellation- I'm on an unofficial wait list. 

Im going to spend the saved money on a trip to Mexico when I turn 40 in May. 

Height: 5'4".    VSG 2/23/15

HW: 257--SW: 237--CW: 207  

Mary Gee
on 1/14/15 2:21 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
You certainly made the right decision, although I'm sure it was difficult. Luckily, your new date is not that far away. I feel for you. Hope you get a phone call shortly after you new coverage becomes effective!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Beatriz
on 1/15/15 1:17 am

Thanks- it's definitely not too far. :)

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/15 3:22 pm

Wow. Tough call, but you know March is just around the corner. It'll be here before you know it and you will be so ready and prepared.

Beatriz
on 1/15/15 1:18 am

Thanks- I hope so!

mickeymantle
on 1/14/15 3:25 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

the time will pass fast just stay on your pre op diet and the surgery will go easier on you and your pocketbook

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Beatriz
on 1/15/15 1:19 am

That's true. The pocketbook will get a workout after the surgery with all the new clothes I get to buy!!!

frisco
on 1/14/15 4:08 pm

I am a firm believer in turning negatives into positives......

WLS can be overwhelming and most including myself can't/couldn't see past the surgery and into the WL phase.

WLS is more about keeping the weight off that you lost if we are able to see the big picture...... forever is a long time !

Your postponement is just a tiny dot in the big picture !

Take the time to study study study and developing the lifelong skills !!!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Beatriz
on 1/15/15 2:38 am

That's so true! I will study!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 1/14/15 4:12 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

My surgery was initially scheduled in January 2012. I ended up rescheduling twice and finally had it in October 2012. It was a 9 months delay in total. Really in retrospect it just gave me more resolve. Take the time now to get fully ready and informed and March is like tomorrow... it will be here before you know it. And 30% is a big time savings so you did the right thing.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Most Active