Anemia and VSG Surgery

Carchick28
on 1/16/15 3:24 am - Canada

I understand that one of the reasons for doing VSG surgery over bypass relates to being anemic.  I am wondering how anemic, meaning just a little bit or is there a threshold that the doctors consider.   I am anemic and my doctor cannot figure out what is causing it so I am just wondering.  Here in Canada I understand they tend to do the bypass surgery more than VSG but I would prefer the VSG for a number of reasons.  Any input would be appreciated. 

Tanya H.
on 1/16/15 4:10 am
VSG on 01/20/15

I am anemic. When I started my journey, my initial lab results showed my Hemoglobin was 9 and my Ferritin was 4 (or vice versa, I can't remember) and apparently this was way too low for any type of weight loss surgery. The way my doctor explained it to me was that the RNY surgery limits your absorption of minerals, especially iron, even if supplements are taken orally. Therefore, someone who is already anemic would not be the best candidate for that type of surgery. So, I chose the VSG surgery. But, he still won't perform the surgery if my hemoglobin doesn't reach at least 11. I've been taking supplements and will be tested again the day before surgery.

Tanya

mickeymantle
on 1/16/15 4:13 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

people  that have the rny or ds have a hard time absorbing iron and some other minerals  , there is less acid needed to break them down 

people with vsg also have this problem to a lesser degree

iron supplements are common with all wls

do you take a ppi if so that may be the problem my hubby was anemic and his doctor told him to stop taking his ppi and in 1 month it improved greatly , sometimes you just need to change the dose

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

merry1126
on 1/16/15 6:07 pm
VSG on 06/17/15

I too have anemia that my doctors can't find a cause, my PCP put me on ferrous sulfate 325mg twice a day.  She said if my iron levels did not improve she would send me to a hematologist. Fortunately my iron levels have risen. 

When I spoke to my surgeon he told me since most iron is absorbed in the duodenum, he warned  me not to do any surgery that bypassed the small intestines. He told me with my anemia choosing to do those type of surgeries would result in having to have monthly blood transfusions.

Carchick28
on 1/16/15 10:38 pm - Canada

Thanks for the info.  This is basically what I had figured.  I want to speak to them when I get to that point about this.  In the research I have done I actually would prefer the VSG surgery.  It seems less invasive and you seem to have a more "normal" life afterwards, not all the supplements and such.  At one point my doctor put me on 600 mg a day for my iron levels.  It does seem to help but when I don't I can sure feel it. 

I do take a PPI but if I stop it, it would not be pretty. I think I will do some research on that topic and see what I can find.

happyteacher
on 1/17/15 12:28 am

I had low iron issues both before and after surgery- but I do not know thresholds. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Carchick28
on 1/17/15 1:18 am - Canada

If you had low iron how much in supplements were you taking before and after, if you don't mind me asking.  Thanks

happyteacher
on 1/17/15 6:23 am

Pre surgery I was not taking any. Post surgery if I only take 1 multi that includes vitamins it is not enough. If I take 2 plus make sure I eat 100% of the RDV that is enough to usually get me to the low end of normal. Problem is, I usually only take 1 multi, so I am persistently at a low iron level. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views