I ate cake over the weekend....CAKE :(

Jack Allen
on 1/18/15 9:48 pm - Leesburg, VA

So we had a friend staying with us over the weekend and she brought us cake. No just any old cake but pudding inside the layers and some special hard crunchy topping. I resisted as long as I could then had a moderate slice. The sugar rush 2was amazing but 15 minutes later I was really low. Sugar sucks. But a half hour later I was feeling pretty bad and guilty and then I did the worst thing imaginable, I had another slice.  This time I only rushed upto feeling normal. So feeling normal again I suited up and went out on a 4 mile walk. Too too much damage on the pre-diet weigh loss but just allowing it to happen was the problem.

My wife is a sugar junkie and I've tried to break her of the habit for our whole marriage.  She knows its a problem but just cant seem to break it. I think by the time summer is around and she see's my progress, she may start to consider WLS also.  I hope so.

47 yrs old (feel 25) 6'6" tall, 1/10/2015 = 340,  highest weight = 360, VSG scheduled 2/11/2015

mmsmom
on 1/18/15 10:10 pm - Woburn, MA

First stop beating yourself up and move on.  Second, if the cake is still in the house, get rid of it!  Give it away or throw it away if you have to.  Right now focus on you, not your wife.  She's a grown woman and you can't make her want to give up the sugar.  As you said, maybe your success will motivate her, but for now, it's all about you.  Commit to a cheat free day today.  You can do it!

VSG on 04/28/2014

jenn1469
on 1/18/15 10:31 pm

2 slices of cake isn't gonna break your journey. Keep your head up and move forward.

Jennifer

TheNewT
on 1/18/15 11:24 pm
VSG on 08/04/14

The first lesson I had with the nutritionist involved throwing away food. It sounds easy but putting perfectly good food in the trash is so hard. But the trash is where this cake needs to go.

Don't beat yourself up about the 2 pieces. Just move forward in a positive direction.

wyo_sarah
on 1/18/15 11:27 pm

Me too.  I made a cake for my husband's birthday and ate a few bites. :(

TexasPrincess08
on 1/18/15 11:35 pm
VSG on 09/15/14

Everyone falls of the wagon I know I have. That moment you start to feel guilty is the moment you decide to do better the rest of the day. It happened let it go. You did great by going for a walk. One or two bad ideas can be made up for by making sure you get back on the wagon and stay on it. 

Gwen M.
on 1/19/15 2:01 am
VSG on 03/13/14

If you haven't already, add a therapist to your Obesity Recovery Team to help both with willpower to resist cake and to not beat yourself up when you slip up. Also, focus on you - your wife is an adult and can make her own choices. If your example inspires her, that's awesome, but don't actively try to make her change. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Allison L.
on 1/19/15 2:54 am - Berkeley, CA

I'll echo what others have said: don't beat yourself up. Posting here is a very helpful thing to do. I also agree with Gwen's suggestion of seeking out a therapist. It's been very helpful for me.

GoBlueGirl1998
on 1/19/15 3:20 am - MI

Don't beat yourself up!! It happens and we're only human!! Guess what? I had a piece of cake at my Nephews wedding on NYE! I didn't get a rush or anything, but it tasted good. I have a wedding at the end of Feb & I'll prob have a piece of cake then. I think as long as we're making changes and not making eating cake a habit and its in moderation then you'll be okay! That cake sounds pretty good..............now get it out of your house! ;)

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 1/19/15 4:44 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

It's hard for me to have certain foods in my house.  They are like drugs and call out my name.  I've found that I can't have them around when I'm trying to lose weight and be successful.

You're preop, and it's not uncommon to have food funerals.  Recognize it for what it was, a slip up, and move on.  I do also recommend finding a therapist or a support group to help you with food issues.  These do not disappear with surgery.  It helps tremendously to be prepared on what post op life will be like and how to combat the head hunger monster.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active