Is it a stall?

wyo_sarah
on 1/18/15 11:27 pm

I've been very fortunate.  I'm 10 days from 6 months post op and I haven't really had a stall other than during that time of the month, which in my case, I expected.  At 5 months post op I had lost 86 lbs.  My goal is 100 and I thought I'd be able to lose that last 14 this month and hit my goal at 6 months.  Apparently, it is not to be.  I've only lost 4 lbs this month.  And, this morning, I had actually GAINED a pound.  I'm just disgusted with myself.  I have loosened up my eating a bit, which is probably the problem, so I know I need to get that under control.  It isn't that I'm over eating, but I've had a few bites of sweets quite a few times.  Yesterday was my husband's birthday and I made an amazing coconut cake for him.  I liked the spoon, tasted the frosting (to make sure that my ratio was right) and I had about 4 bites of the finished product.  I need to stop doing that.  Thanks for listening.  I thought maybe if I put it down in writing, I would be more accountable.

November18
on 1/18/15 11:40 pm
VSG on 11/18/14

You've done great!! Don't be disgusted with yourself that always got me in trouble before. just get back on track ! Good Luck!

Bonnie

Luvmygs
on 1/19/15 1:36 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Wow, congratulations! 86 lbs is awesome. I'm pretty sure there are others who cheat here and there, but as long as you know to get back on track. You're doing great! Keep up the good job!!!!! Christine

Gwen M.
on 1/19/15 2:03 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Are you seeing a therapist? The talk of being disgusted with yourself and relaxing even though you're not at goal are concerning.  It sounds like you're treating this as a temporary diet until you reach your goal instead of a permanent lifestyle change. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

SulowskiT
on 1/19/15 9:10 am

I hear you! I am about 7 months out and have the same challenges. I am down 115 lbs and have been very regimented about eating and tracking but with the holidays and an all inclusive trip to Mexico a couple of weeks ago, it was very hard to get back on track. I know I am not at goal yet however, this new lifestyle does not mean we have to deprive ourselves. You limited how much you ate and recognized that it might not have been the best choice. Shake it off and get back on track. I am always concerned when someone says you need therapy. We all had this surgery because we have have some sort of issue that led to overeating and for some therapy can be a lifesaver. For others, having a positive support team that helps you get back on track is what we need. If this becomes a habit, seek some help, but for right now, you have made yourself accountable. 

6 months is a long time to eat in this new healthy way. Considering how long we have been eating poorly, it is going to take more than 6 months to make a more permanent lifestyle change. With any change there are always challenges and you just need to work towards overcoming them one day at a time. You can do it!!!

wyo_sarah
on 1/20/15 12:32 am

Thank you, I appreciate your words.  I guess I entered into this endeavor with a slightly different philosophy than some others.  I have two friends who got sleeves.  Both of them were very successful and lost a lot of weight.  But, they both also told me that they eat "normal" food, just much, much less of it.  I spent about 4 days with one of my friends before I had surgery and closely watched everything she ate.  She ate protein first, but she also ate chips at the Mexican restaurant we ate at, bread at the steakhouse and half a donut.  My thought was that I can really cut out most of the carbs while I'm losing weight, but that this surgery, while it was going to change the way I eat and the role of food in my life, I wasn't going to be miserable and never have a bite of cake again.  

I lost 10 lbs during Christmas break. (I'm a teacher.) I baked tons and ate a few bites here and there.  I don't feel like I'm eating anything worse now than I was then.  That is why I'm questioning whether this is a stall or not.  But, until I get to my goal, I guess I need to stop eating those few bites of sweets.

Thanks again. :)

SulowskiT
on 1/20/15 1:23 am

I think you have a very realistic view. I would really focus on how the sleeve will work for you and your lifestyle. I work in education too and bake all the family Christmas treats. You really managed that well - I lost about 4 lbs over the two weeks but was faced with the huge challenge of all you can eat buffets while in Mexico. I try not to rely onwhat everyone else does, because they are doing what works for them - I see many people still have a protein shake a day - that would not work for me as I have found a way to stay within my calories limit eating regular food. Does that mean they are wrong - not at all it just means it works for them! I personally enjoy taking the time to eat a meal or snack as opposed to drinking it. 

Anyway, good luck to you! I wish you much success - although it looks like you don't need to hear it from me! 

SATXVSG
on 1/20/15 1:49 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

I think it depends on how sensitive your body is to the simple carbs.   A coworker with a bypass  eats "normally" and it works for him.  He is almost 2 years out.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

wyo_sarah
on 1/20/15 1:52 am

That makes sense.

Most Active