I need some help to get back on track

newbutterfly84
on 1/19/15 4:13 am - VA
with

I had my first child in March 2014! I never thought that I would be able to have a baby. My husband and I tried for 8 years to conceive and finally one day it happened. During my pregnancy I called my NUT 3 different times and I never got a reply. I was so scared because and I was afraid that the baby wouldn't get enough nutrition if I ate how I was supposed to so I just ate whatever. Now 10months after giving birth to my wonderful son I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get back on track. Can someone please help me. I am at a loss. Here is some BG: I am 3 years out from the Sleeve WLS, My highest weight was 350 and my lowest was 214lb (was so close to being out of the 200s and so proud of myself) Now i am back up to 262 and am so scared of failure. Please give me some advice on what to do. I am at a loss and have nowhere to turn. BTW I will be seeing my surgeon for my 3 year follow up soon. Thanks in advance :)

MAchick
on 1/19/15 5:32 am
VSG on 01/27/14

I've never been in your position, but it's probably safe to say you should go back to the basics. Track everything you eat so you get an idea of just how many calories,  carbs,  protein you are taking in and then adjust your caloric intake. Increase your water intake. Focus on dense proteins to fill you up, and no drinking 30 minutes before/after eating. 

This is not medical advice,  just things I would be doing to get back on track. It's good you're having an appointment with your surgeon. Hopefully he can give you some better insight and someone can figure out what the heck is going on with your NUT. Maybe time to find a new one? 

momsy55
on 1/19/15 5:42 am - ME

I feel for you!  I too have been getting back to basics.  Does your WLS program have follow up with nutritionists?  If so, perhaps contacting them to sit down and plot out an eating plan with some follow ups might be helpful.  If not, try going back to your eating plan after surgery, when you were able to eat solids.   Following that plan would probably make the most sense.  Also, if your WLS program has support groups, then try attending.  Keep coming back to this forum as well.  I know form first hand experience that staying away from the supports at hand leads to more struggling.  You took the first step by reaching out for help - that's the hardest step to take and you did it! 

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

newbutterfly84
on 1/19/15 5:47 am - VA
with

I have tried to get in touch with my NUT and never get a response. I have been asking for advice from a lot of different places. Unfortunately I cannot go to my support group because the closest one is an hour and a half away. I just started writing everything down again and I am hoping that when I see my surgeon soon he can give me more advice. Thank you for your advice! I appreciate it :)

Jp2lose
on 1/19/15 6:00 am - Omaha, NE
Here's what works for me. When my eating is out of control it's usually because of sugar and carbs. If I can get back to meats and veggies then I feel full and satisfied and my cravings go away, but getting there is HARD. I usually plan out my low carb meals and snacks for at least 4 to 5 days and let myself eat as much of those foods as I want with no limits. After that time period the sugar cravings should be under better control and then you can start counting calories and carbs or whatever it is you think you need to do start losing weight. The trick is to get the cravings under control first!

I personally cook several meals and divide them up into individual portions and freeze them so I ALWAYS have something that I can eat available - no excuses for not having something to eat. I also still like my protein shakes, so those are a sweet treat for me.

newbutterfly84
on 1/19/15 6:04 am - VA
with

Thank you. That makes sense. I definitely need to watch the carbs and sugar. It was like everything went  crazy when I got pregnant. 

Kathy8429
on 1/19/15 6:04 am

I've been taking off some poundage I recently gained. It's been miserable Ihave been having headaches and missing the extras I've allowed into my diet since maintenance. Here is what I'm doing- I got this from Elina, a member who has been very successful I don't remember everything she said but here goes

eat 5 meals day with 3 dense protein meals and 2 high fiber veggie meals

look up green chicken soup recipe and eat that whenever you need to in the first few days while you detox from carbs. You could also look up some posts on regain. One of them includes the post about accountibility and getting back on track

hope this helps

love, Kathy 

momsy55
on 1/19/15 8:11 am - ME

I just made a pot of Elina's soup on Saturday and have had it for lunch or supper every day.  It's yummy and very filling!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Laura in Texas
on 1/19/15 6:07 am

Get out your measuring cups and food scale and track every bite. Protein first, then veggies. No crappy carbs. Shoot for 1200 calories, 60-70 grams protein, and under 50 grams of carbs at first and then cut back the calories if that does not help you lose.

Stop making excuses and make better choices. Forgive yourself and move on from here. You can do this but it is up to you.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/15 7:56 am

So glad you came here to get support! Awesome choice. I don't know how detailed you want to get, but if you want to get super nitty gritty, PM me. I'm 3 years out, too. I've had some issues with regain myself. I know what works for me to get back on track and know what I need to do to keep on track, too.

People say, "Go back to basics." It's a very easy thing to say, but much harder to actually do at 3 years out. So, here's what has helped me the most: Recreating the mindset of a new post op. Believe it or not, our attitudes towards being on a food program changes over time. Maybe not in major concepts, but in the minutia. I know I eased up about bites here and there. I know that I let carbs back in gradually and sugars, too. Soon It was sugar every day. I also eased up on tracking. I"d track most of the day and then forget about dinner. Soon it was skipping complete days here and there.

As a new post op we are diligent about tracking and following directions and our food plans. If you can get back to that mindset you will be half way there. 

Next, develop a plan that works for you and that you can stick with long term.

Most Active