Will I be able to travel 4 weeks after surgery? Scheduled for VSG on March 2, travel 3/31

monica37
on 1/20/15 3:27 am - Chicago, IL

we are having a huge show in vegas and my boss wants all of us to be there. Im concnerned about being ready to be out and traveling and meeting customers, dinners, etc etc..  What is everyone's thoughts on this? 

ReclaimingPaula
on 1/20/15 3:38 am
VSG on 01/28/14

I'd suggest asking your surgeon this question.  We could all have our opinions, but the surgeon is the one who can tell you what they would allow/recommend.

Surgery 01/28/2014. HW: 310. Consult 290, Surgery 270.  CW = 150   

LK85
on 1/20/15 4:14 am
VSG on 12/30/14

I believe it depends on your status at the time. 

At 4 weeks out you may still be tired, in pain, etc, where many of us (myself included) felt just fine at 4 weeks out.

Gwen M.
on 1/20/15 4:25 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You will be 4 weeks out from major surgery.  Most likely you'll be tired, you might still need naps.  Eating out will take careful consideration.  You might still be in pureed foods, you might need to stick to soft foods.  Definitely talk to your surgeon.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 1/20/15 4:56 am

My experience: I was on a plane traveling at 10 days post op. I had a judging assignment and could not back out. I had NO trouble whatsoever. Did I get a little bit tired over the three days I was away? Yes, but it was doable. Did I go out to dinner every breakfast, lunch and dinner? NO! I brought enough protein powders with me to get my daily protein and went to a local shop to get greek yogurt for lunch each day. At night I ordered soups when I was out to dinner. When someone I didn't know well asked why I was eating so little I explained that I'd been having some stomach issues for a week or so and was just getting back on my feed. Being winter, no one raised an eye brow. I think they must have thought I'd had the flu. No one was put off by the little amount I ate, either.

Check with your surgeon, but I don't see why you would not be able to travel - especially if you are well prepared.

civilmomma
on 1/20/15 5:55 am
VSG on 03/07/14

I was fine by 4 weeks out.  some people aren't.  I was on soft foods by then, so eating in public, while awkward b/c of my tiny portion, was doable anywhere they served soups or soft proteins like tuna or shrimp or cottage cheese.  refried beans was my go-to at a Mexican place.

you'll probably get tired early and won't be able to drink alcohol - but assuming you have a non-complicated surgery, you should be fine to travel.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Valerie G.
on 1/20/15 6:44 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's such a variable answer for this.  At 4 weeks out I was still pretty listless.  I didn't turn the corner to feeling more like myself until about 6 weeks out.  Also consider that you will not be able to lift/push/pull/carry more than 8 lbs for 8 weeks, so even so much as a laptop is out the window.  Food will be a constant challenge and you will bring attention to yourself with it no matter how hard you try not to. 

If this is so important, have you considered rescheduling your surgery so you can be on your a-game for this event at work? That's what I would do.  I pushed my surgery out so I could have 8 weeks off if I needed it, right through the winter holidays when my work is slow.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

SulowskiT
on 1/20/15 7:50 am, edited 1/20/15 7:50 am

Understanding that we are all different, I was totally fine two weeks after my surgery. I hopped on a plane In Toronto and went to Halifax for a week. My physician said it was fine as long as I paid attention to being hydrated and moving around to deter any blood clots while in the plane. I walked around the entire city for a week and although I went slow and still had difficulty bending over, I felt awesome! My biggest problem was looking at all the beautiful lobsters I could not eat!!! Definitely check with your doctor but you should be fine as long as you don't overdo it!! 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views