Gastroparesis

MMoorehouse
on 1/23/15 1:27 am

Has anybody here developed gastroparesis after surgery? The doctor explained it as food and fluids are not moving through the stomach and upper intestines at a proper rate, really sluggish. Diagnosed with a barium x-ray. Sick as a dog with nausea and dry heaves. Started Reglan to help the stomach muscles move, changed from Nexium to Protonix for PPI and Zofran for nausea (doesn't help much). Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue, what you did to help with the nausea and dry heaves, and how long before you got over it. Thanks!

mickeymantle
on 1/23/15 1:38 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

pain killers can course many of those problems so if you still taking them try to get off them

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

MMoorehouse
on 1/23/15 2:04 am

not taking any pain killers since the week after surgery. now at 5 weeks post op. Have had intermittent nausea/dry heaves about one-three times a day. Last Tuesday started at 8-10 times a day and then now every thing causes nausea and dry heaves. I sure hope the gastroparesis will go away. how do you know if it is actually related to nerve damage or something that is just temporary? had the barium x-ray upper GI done.

hollykim
on 1/23/15 5:47 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 23, 2015 at 9:27 AM Pacific Time, MMoorehouse wrote:

Has anybody here developed gastroparesis after surgery? The doctor explained it as food and fluids are not moving through the stomach and upper intestines at a proper rate, really sluggish. Diagnosed with a barium x-ray. Sick as a dog with nausea and dry heaves. Started Reglan to help the stomach muscles move, changed from Nexium to Protonix for PPI and Zofran for nausea (doesn't help much). Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue, what you did to help with the nausea and dry heaves, and how long before you got over it. Thanks!

are you getting 64+ ounces of liquid a day? Dehydration causes wicked nausea and is life threatening if allowed to go on.

Hislady
on 1/23/15 7:35 am - Vancouver, WA

I developed it after having a lap band but I don't have nausea with it at all. Yours sounds more like it might be a stricture. My food goes thru fine it just doesn't leave the lower part of my stomach into the intestines. From what I've read there really isn't nausea or vomiting along with it. I would definately ask your surgeon to check for that too, you could have both. As for treatment there is very little besides the reglan and my doc wouldn't give me that, said it has harsh side effects. He told me to eat small meals several times a day and chew really well. Wish I had better news for you but do ask about a stricture!

MMoorehouse
on 1/23/15 11:53 am

Had a CT scan and a barium swallow x-ray, shows no leaks or obstructions. Would it show a stricture?

sarahdiane
on 1/24/15 7:35 am

I have not had surgery yet (scheduled 2/17), but my son has gastroparesis. Luckily for him, the only symptom he has is reflux from food digesting too slowly. He takes omeprazole for that. His gastroenterologist also had him on a low dose of antiobiotics (erythromycin) long-term - I guess there was evidence that would help speed up digestion. I myself had been having severe nausea/vomiting/pain episodes for at least a decade and thought I also had gastroparesis. After a ton of testing, it was found to be my gallbladder. I had it removed and it has been a miraculous cure for me. Zero episodes since removal 2 months ago. I have heard that many people develop gallbladder issues after WLS, could that possibly be your issue? the only other thing I can think of is the gastroparesis diet. I know that consists of small, non-fatty foods and some other restrictions. You've probably already been told about it. Good luck, I hope you find some relief 😕

feistyemm
on 2/20/15 8:46 am - Westchester, NY

I had the gastric bypass 10 years ago this coming April. On Wednesday I had a gastric emptying test and today my gastroenterologist told me that I have a severely slow-emptying stomach, i.e., gastroparesis. I do not have nausea or vomiting. He prescribed Relgan (sp?) - 10mg/day to start. He said that the low dose should not produce the side effects.  I'd like to know where I can find the gastroparesis diet you mention.

Marla a/k/a Feistyemm
Surgery Date: 4/21/2005; HW: 333/ SW: 271/ CW:133/ GOAL: 150 or UNDER

Highest BMI: 54.7; BMI Now: 22.6 -- Jeans before surgery: 32. Now: 6
PS: 2006/7 LBL, Bracheoplasty & Upper Thigh Lift. 8/2012: UBackLift & Breast Implants
(redone 3 times). 7/17/18: vertical thigh lift (needs to be redone - left too much skin) &
replacement of 1 breast implant due to rupture (still needs to be fixed due to placement).

Most Active