Almost 5 years out: how I failed my sleeve and what I am doing about it

Donna09
on 1/25/15 6:43 am - CA

I was sleeved on 3/9/2010. I have had zero complications, super easy recovery, never had foamies, only threw up once early on when I gulped too much water with my vitamins, lost 115 pounds in 18 months, and still feel the sleeve was the best thing that I could have ever done for myself. I have only felt sick when I've eaten fried foods, even if it is just one onion ring or two fried pickles. Which is good, that feeling keeps me away from those foods. I got my blood pressure under control and was taken off medications.

Between years 1-2 I broke the cardinal rule of drinking while eating. This has continued up until 2 weeks ago. I have corrected this by drinking a large bottle of water about 30 minutes before a meal. That way, I feel a bi****er-logged and am able to wait to take a drin****il about an hour after meals. This has been really difficult to adjust to as I am often thirsty during meals, but the water before meals really helps.

During years 2-3 I had a net 20 pound weight gain. I bounced around a bit. I participated in fitness contests at work, and even won the most fat loss, but I did end up gaining it back. I was sad to give up my size 6 pants, as I was close to getting into 4's, but while juggling my family, work and MA program I was okay with where I was.

During year 3-4 I graduated with a MA in Human Behavior, and completed the post graduate certificate in Applied Behavior Analysis, while also completing my supervision hours, juggling family and work. I still participated in the fitness contests at work, but only found my weight continuing to rise. I also developed a significant relationship with chocolate, sugar in general and taki's. Sometimes even eating in the middle of the night when I got up to use the bathroom. It was also during this time that I pretty much lost sight of all of the rules. I wasn't drinking water at all. I did drink green or unsweetened tea. I couldn't stand the sight of protein shakes, and stopped having breakfast altogether. I also stopped exercising routinely. I gained another 15 pounds during this year. I was up 35 pounds total. I knew I needed to gain control and get back on track; however, continued down the self destructive road. My blood pressure was also starting to climb and I was started back on medication. My doctor just suggested that I star****ching what I ate and to exercise. I now wished he would have given me a referral back to bariatric's or that I would have requested one.

From October 2014-January 2015 I lost all control. I lost one of my managers at work and had to take on a lot of extra work, was studying and stressed about taking the exam to become a Board Certified Behavior Analyst, and the holidays. I was in complete shock to find out that I gained another 15 pounds in a matter of 3 months. For a grand total of 50 pounds gained! I passed my exam, and knew it was time to do some extreme soul searching about how I was going to stop the train-wreck.

At first I thought that my sleeve stopped working. I researched revisions, and sleeve failures. It was then that I realized exactly what happened. DUH! It's been two weeks since I've been totally back on track with all of the rules, and with tracking. I still need to pick up speed in exercising, but have began to walk more. There was a time that I was doing Bikram yoga 5 days a week, spinning, and in amazing physical shape, not anymore.

I weigh-in on Monday's. Last week I was down 5lbs. I am pretty sure I will have a loss tomorrow also. I can eat more than I could initially, but I still have very good restriction when I am doing what I am supposed to do. My 1st goal was to lose at least 15 pounds by March 9th, my 5 year anniversary. I would like to lose at least 40 pounds total, and as of now, I have 35 more to go.

This was a good lesson for me. No matter what, vigilance is key. Life happens, and regain is absolutely possible, without following the rules. The sleeve is only a tool. It's not a magic bullet, but it still is the best thing that I have ever done...and my tool is not broken!

sds0029
on 1/25/15 6:57 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Thank you for sharing.  I am one week post sleeve and I know the time will come where decisions will be made.  I appreciate you sharing your story.  lol the best. 

Donna09
on 1/25/15 9:02 am - CA

Congratulations on getting sleeved. I hope you are recovering well!

Gwen M.
on 1/25/15 7:00 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It's great that you're getting back on track.  You'll get to where you want to be!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

f4eva
on 1/25/15 7:04 am

Thank you for sharing.  I am not even 2 years out (surgery date - 8/12/13) and have lost and maintained a 60 pounds since then.  I know 60 pounds is a lot but I should have lost a lot more by now.  I know you mention that you are totally on track with all of the rules - my question to you is, can you please list the rules?  I'm afraid that I may not know all of them and I've apparently broken some or all of them since the surgery.  Anyone's input is truly appreciated as I am really frustrated.  I know it is not the sleeve (that is what helped me lose and maintain the 60 pound loss).  It is me doing things wrong.  Again - thanks for sharing.  I also believe it is the best thing I've every done!!

Gwen M.
on 1/25/15 8:08 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Here are my basics/rules.  Yours might be slightly different, but these are mine.  

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
5. Avoid liquid calories (breakfast protein shake is the exception)
6. Weigh portions
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh myself daily
10. Be kind to myself

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Donna09
on 1/25/15 8:11 am - CA

The rules I am following:Remembering I HAVE a sleeve. I had robotic surgery and have no scars to prove it. I stopped acting like I had one also!

1. Having breakfast: back to protein shakes.

2. Using my protein shake for creamer in my coffee.

3. Cut out all those horrible carbs/sugar I was eating. In the afternoon when I'm really craving chocolate-I drink 1/2 of a protein shake. I like that premier protein shakes have lids on them now, so can save for later.

4. Drinking water! I am back to drinking 100oz of water. BUT no drinking right before I eat a meal or for about after I eat. This has been hard, but doable.

5. Eating dense protein 1st, and slowly. Not eating a potato, noddles or bread. Only eating greens or salad with balsamic vinegar dressing to finish filling me up. I've also done some green juicing.

6. TRACKING everything on myfitnesspal. This was one of my biggest mistakes. I completely lost sight of what I was eating and how many carbs/sugar/calories I was actually taking in.

7. At least walking, but I need to get back to more strenuous exercise.

8. Reading posts! I haven't been a part of this forum in years. It does give me motivation and grounding.

I think that's about it. I've kept my calories to 700-800 a day for the last 2 weeks. Pretty easily.

PSwoman13
on 1/25/15 7:36 am

Thank you for your post. I too realize that re-gain is so possible with anyone of us. I also thought, do I still have restriction and low and behold I do!!  I just have to eat the right foods as ALL the bad ones you can eat way too much of.

I wish you the best in your journey back to your goal weight and I hope this for me too!!

DSJSMOM23
on 1/25/15 8:32 am
VSG on 06/24/14

Thank you for your post! It's a definite eye opener!

Wishing you success & all the best!

Phyllispil
on 1/25/15 9:35 am - Charlotte, NC
RNY on 02/16/15

Thank you so much for sharing your struggle.  I am 3 weeks out from gastric bypass.  It is a reminder to all of us that food will be a temptation during stressful times.  So wonderful to have a community on the journey with us.  I am 295 lbs today.  Looking forward to moving beyond surgery.  Please keep sharing.

Most Active