Struggling with food expectations

GooseGirl
on 1/27/15 12:42 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

I find that I struggle with expectations regarding food, specifically related to the amount of food I "should" be consuming. According to my surgeon my sleeve is fairly small; I have no complaints about that. It does mean that my capacity is smaller than what I see from a lot of people on the boards. It is also smaller than what my dietitian expects.

My struggle is two-fold. I find myself measuring out the amount my NUT thinks is the minimum and then struggling to get it in. If it is on my plate then I try to eat it.  I am really trying to learn to listen to my body but it is especially difficult when I have my NUT's voice in my head telling me I need to eat more.

The 2nd problem is that when I plan my meals to hit all my goals and then don't eat everything I get worried about actually hitting my protein targets. 

Does anyone have any advice? 

wyo_sarah
on 1/27/15 12:48 am

I would follow your body signals and not your NUT's.  And then, when you have tracked your food, if you haven't had enough protein, drink another shake before bed.  That is what I do.  Sometimes I can get 3 oz in, other times it is only 2.  I've found that when I measure it out and force myself to eat everything on my plate that sometimes I feel very uncomfortably full and then I can't drink for more than an hour and I struggle to get in enough water.  I'm trying to listen to my body more so I don't have that awful feeling.

GooseGirl
on 1/27/15 3:40 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

I too have experienced that uncomfortably full feeling and can't drink for an hour or so. I really am trying to listen to my body in spite of what anyone else is telling  me. I do think I'm going to have to add in another shake. Again, this will contradict what the NUT wants, but it is appropriate for where I am at with my food intake. 

mickeymantle
on 1/27/15 1:31 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

try to eat more softer stuff like eggs, baked fish, cottage cheese  that goes in easier , but does not keep you full as long

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

GooseGirl
on 1/27/15 3:42 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

Other than eggs, it seems that many of the soft foods I eat aren't as high in protein as the regular dense protein. I may need to do some more research; perhaps I have just been making poor choices with my soft foods. 

Thanks for the recommendation. 

MegZorar
on 1/27/15 9:54 am

Do you like sashimi? Raw cuts of salmon, tuna and other fish are very soft, satisfying and high in protein.

GooseGirl
on 1/28/15 8:58 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

Unfortunately I don't like any seafood. I really appreciate the suggestion though!

Stacy_WLS
on 1/27/15 1:35 am

Stop when you feel full!  

Add a protein shake or two if you still need more protein.  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

GooseGirl
on 1/27/15 3:44 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

I'm trying to recognize "full" before it gets uncomfortable. I think if I immediately get up and throw away what is remaining on  my plate that may help. 

I just need to figure out what my body is telling me. 

Sasny
on 1/27/15 1:48 am
VSG on 03/20/12

I would advise not eating until full or uncomfortable.  Eat until you are content.  I am assuming you are not too far out from the surgery but the early months are really great for not eating much.  I am not saying don't hit your nutritional requirements - focus on reaching your protien goals and if necessary use protien shakes.  When you are a few years out you will wish some days for that early time when you couldn't eat much.  I am almost at three years and still have great restriction but can eat much more than I originally could.  There are many factors that make the first 6-12 months the honeymoon period for weight loss and one of the most effective factors during this time period is not eating much.

Most Active