Protein shake "issues" -_-

Y D.
on 1/26/15 12:40 pm
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Hi all,

im 7 days out from surgery, and all has pretty much been well! 

Ive been doing really well with my water, and no hunger to speak of. My concern is getting enough protein. I tried my usual brand (body fortess super advanced whey isolate), mixed with water- and I got cramps, gurgles, and diarrhea :( I tried another brand, of whey isolate unflavored, same thing!

so I got a vegan veggie protein powder (mrm All natural veggie protein), mixed with almond milk- no diarrhea or cramping, just gas and gurgles.

what the heck? I mean I can live with the gassy one if I have to, I just don't understand why this is happening and I don't want to miss out on protein.

help? :)

Luvmygs
on 1/26/15 1:36 pm
VSG on 12/04/14

I had the same problem with Whey protein so my NUT told me to switch over to an Egg White Protein. I didn't start my protein until 8-9 days post-op. Made it with water, 1 tablespoon unflavored cocoa and 1/2 banana. Now I'm 8 weeks out and I use Almond milk and strawberries. I couldn't stomach the Vegan protein, its tasted nasty! Good luck. Concentrate on getting your water this early, its more important than protein.

civilmomma
on 1/26/15 11:57 pm, edited 1/26/15 11:58 pm
VSG on 03/07/14

I had issues as well.  I could tolerate milk, so I would do fairLife milk (double protein cow milk) and add a half scoop of powder.  My stomach did better on that.

Also - try things with different sweetners.  I have the best tolerance on the splenda and stevia ones...the aspartame and asulfamine potassium ones upset me more.

Also - at 7 days out - you are still healing.  My plan was clear liquids for a whole week post op, so I wasn't even testing the stomach with heavier things until 7 days post.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Most Active