PPI's - Protonix

ANGELINA6501
on 1/28/15 5:01 am
VSG on 12/16/14

I was prescribed Protonix to take for 42 days. I called the nurse today to see if this was something I was to continue or maybe switch to something else. She told me that they only want the patients on the PPI for a specified amount of time, then they are to stop taking the medicine. She said if there were any problems, they would then reconsider putting me back on it. I asked what kind of symptoms I should be looking for. Heartburn was the only symptom she gave. Now I know from reading here that acid can mimic hunger, so I asked her if I should be particularly concerned if I was feeling overly hungry. She said no, that I should only be worried about heartburn.

Has anyone else been taken off their PPI after 6 weeks? I thought this was something I'd have to take long term. I'd like to add that I don't really trust this nurse as far as I can throw her, but I must deal with her for a while yet, so I have to be nice.... :)  (Nurse P. just told me today that I should not be drinking "dark beverages," but when I consulted with my NUT, she refuted that statement saying there is no scientific basis.)

~Angela

VSG 12/16/2014   HW: 309 / SW: 280 / CW: 226

rumpole6
on 1/28/15 5:19 am

Did you have heart burn, GERD, reflux preop? I did so I was not told to stop the PPI (Protonix). The good news is that my GastroEnterologist told me there was every possibility I could go off the Protonix when my weight got low enough. I think if you didn't have issues preop then it makes sense to test the waters after some amount of time. You may need something weaker or you may need nothing at all! Also, don't forget that the acid can mimic hunger so if you feel hunger take the PPI and see if it works! Then report it as heartburn.

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

Gwen M.
on 1/28/15 6:24 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I only took mine for two months or so post-op.  I've had to take two 14-day courses of Nexium (OTC) in the last 8 months since I was feeling some hunger/acid stuff, but it cleared up the problem.  I didn't want to be on a PPI long-term if I didn't need to be!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

rumpole6
on 1/28/15 6:32 am

A little off topic, but I heard today that Nexium went of patent today and should be available as a generic shortly!

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

ANGELINA6501
on 1/28/15 7:17 am
VSG on 12/16/14

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll just follow the normal program and if something changes, I'll have to contact them.

~Angela

Tracy D.
on 1/29/15 1:40 am, edited 1/29/15 1:41 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Nurse P. sounds like she doesn't know what the hell she is talking about .   I'm 20 months out and I am STILL taking 20mg of Protonix a day, down from the 40mg that I had to take due to severe reflux issues.  And guess what - I never felt "heartburn".  But I would cough up acid in the middle of the night, get dry constant coughs and have the burning/hungry feeling in my stomach.  Not everyone with excess acid presents in the same way.  

I'm going to try to wean myself off it over the next couple months to see if the acid is now controllable through just popping an occasional Tums.  But I won't hesitate to go back on it if needed.  The damage to our tiny little stomachs due to excess acid is very real and can lead to ulcers and esophageal cancer.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

ANGELINA6501
on 1/29/15 1:46 am, edited 1/29/15 1:46 am
VSG on 12/16/14

Thanks for your input Tracy. Yes, this nurse is a doozy. I try to avoid her if I can, but it isn't always possible. I think she mostly does weigh-ins, height and BP checks.

I'd prefer to stay on it for a little while longer, maybe not forever, but for now, yes. I have coughed up acid in the middle of the night too, and with the CPAP, that can be very dangerous (aspiration!).

Since I realize that acid can mimic hunger, I will be keeping an eye on that as well. I mentioned this to her, but she dismissed it as a symptom to be aware of. I know better. Next time, I'll just have to call my surgeon's personal nurse. She is slightly better to work with.

~Angela

Most Active