1st Consultation Need Help With questions.

Smilez313
on 2/3/15 3:54 am

I have my first Consultation with my surgeon tomorrow so I know I'm on track to getting my sleeve. I'm trying to make a list of questions to ask him but I'm drawing a blank. What are some question you would have asked? and what other things should I know? any input would help and thanks!

Tracy D.
on 2/3/15 4:32 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

1.  How many of these procedures has he done?

2.  What is his leak rate?  Death rate?  Other complications that he's seen and his rate of complications?  

3.  Will he require a liver shrinking diet ahead of time?  If yes, ask what you can expect.  

4.  What does he provide in terms of aftercare?  Does he host a support group?  How many follow-up visits will you have with him?  Will he do your follow-up labs or does he want your PCP to do those?  

5.  What percentage of excess weight-loss do his patients experience with VSG?  

6.  And ask him why he thinks that you would be a good candidate for this particular surgery.   Ask him why he believes this surgery will help you keep the weight off for good when you haven't been able to do so on your own.  I found the answer to these questions and the information from the surgeon to be quite interesting!  

Good luck! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Smilez313
on 2/3/15 5:03 am

Those are some Great questions!!! thank you so much, I just wrote it all down.

Latina63
on 2/3/15 5:14 am

My best advice to someone getting VSG surgery is to REMEMBER why you wanted it and how you felt BEFORE you had it. Everyone (or near about) has buyers remorse for just a bit until your body and brain catch up with the changes going on. Totally agree with all of the suggestions given, good luck

Kathy S.
on 2/3/15 5:16 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Smilez313  Congratulations on the beginning of your journey!

Here is a list of questions you can ask your surgeon.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/content/questionstoaskyoursurgeon .html

If any of them imply RNY just adjust the question to address your surgery type VSG.

Keep us posted on how you are doing!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

BlueHeron81
on 2/3/15 7:42 am - MD
VSG on 01/30/15

I agree with all of the questions that were posted.  It's a good thing that you are preparing yourself in this way.  I didn't ask many questions at all.  Every time I met with my surgeon, he would ask, "Do you have any questions?" and I would draw a blank.  Good for you!

Most Active