Same Post... Different Day

elliebean78
on 2/3/15 2:25 pm - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 02/19/15

Hi all! Found this group today, and I wanted to just whine about something that I'm sure has been whined about constantly. I start my 2 week all liquid diet on Thurs, for surgery on 2/19. I'm so nervous about that. I'm going out of town this weekend on vacation and my daughter's birthday party is coming up. Everyone is going to be around me eating awesome food, and I'll just be rocking back and forth in the corner with my protein shakes and crazy eyes. 

what I'm MOST worried about is caffeine withdrawals. I have been able to phase out the coffee/tea, but I drink so much soda that it's scary. I'm terrified of the headaches. I know I should have been weaning down, but what can I say... I'm an overindulger. That's what got me here in the first place. lol

Gwen M.
on 2/4/15 12:42 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Liquid diets suck, no doubt about it.  But keep your eyes on the prize and you'll be able to get through this.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Pamela M.
on 2/4/15 1:13 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 08/25/14

I understand completley.  I was a HUGE regular Coke addict pre-surgery.  The withdrawal was not nearly as bad as I anticipated; however, I did slowly start weaning myself a few weeks before the liquid diet.  YOU CAN DO THIS . . . girl, let me tell you - IT IS SO WORTH IT!  Now, I rarely EVER crave a soda and, with God's help, I will never pick another one up.  My moods are so much more even without consumming all the sugary drinks.  Life is good post-op (I'm almost 6 months out and down 64 lbs.).  This will be YOU before you know it.  Looking forward to seeing you on the loser's bench.  Good luck.

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.   Henry David Thoreau

jgreenlee12
on 2/4/15 5:02 am
VSG on 12/08/14

I started my pre-op liquid diet the Monday before Thanksgiving. Not only were we on vacation, I had to cook Thanksgiving Dinner for everyone and not eat any. I also gave up my Diet Dr. Pepper that week. Im not going to say it was easy, because it wasn't, but I did survive and now that seems like sooo long ago (im only 8 weeks post-op so its not really that long). But if I can do it, you can do it.

I do see Diet Dr Peppers every once in a while and have that hankering but its so easy to deny that want. And I don't remember having any caffeine withdrawals for some reason. I think God knew I was already giving up so much that I didn't need that too.

Melanielw
on 2/4/15 7:01 am
VSG on 01/21/15

I was really worried about the liquid diet but it actually does go by so quickly. Before you know it you will be on the table getting your surgery done. I agree that they do suck, but its short term and anyone can do anything short term. I drank quite a bit of sodas before surgery and I was worried about the withdrawals too. Luckily I never had any issue with that (and normally I would if I skipped just one day of not having caffeine.) Just try to drink lots of water and hopefully that will help. Good luck! :)

elliebean78
on 2/8/15 1:11 pm - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 02/19/15

Thanks, all for your kind word. The first and second day, I had the worst migraine of my entire life. I took so many tylenol that it was a little scary. Finally just said screw it and ended up taking two excedrin. I figured a little caffeine trumped the million tylenol. I just finished day 4 of my liquid diet. 9 more days to go! I'm so anxious. 

happyteacher
on 2/8/15 10:00 pm

Caffine withdrawel is not fun, but it is not overly paralyzing either. Prior to my doctors strong arming me into a caffine free day, I would drink several pots of strong coffee daily. I truly can say I did not know a bigger caffine junkie than me at that time. The heart palpatations that went with it though were getting out of control, so I did have a lot of natural incentive to follow doctor's orders on that. What I did was to immedieately switch to half caf coffee, and did that for a couple of days. Then I went to quarter caf for a few days, then down to zero. It was not bad at all. 

One thing for sure-you will not kick the caffine if you don't start doing something. Get going at it- you will be happier once you have accomplished the goal! 

I would also throw out there that your bigger problem is not the caffine, but the soda. Even if it is diet soda, it will completely undermine your weight loss. There is a documented link that diet soda translates into weight gain- not from the no calorie thing obviously, but because of the food cravings and such that go right along with it. Don't just kick the caffine to the curb- kick soda right along with it. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active