3 weeks excesive wait time for soft food?

DANinTexas360
on 2/6/15 7:52 am
VSG on 01/26/15 with

I see all these people that get to have soft food the second week. I'm almost to week 2 and I just ate about a swirl of some soft whole wheat pasta and a small piece of shredded chicken, very slow and waiting about 5 minutes between each bite, and I feel great. No pain or tightness. On my diet I can only have liquids until the third week. There is no mushy stage. Do any of you think it's just playing it safe? I really do think I healed faster than most. I was gulping water down by day 4. I could handle more than a sip before that without pain.

Gwen M.
on 2/6/15 8:04 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think you should follow your surgeon's plan.  You have no idea how your innards have healed, none at all, and you can easily damage yourself if you eat off plan.  

Liquids are easy for a lot of us because they go right through our fully functional pyloric valve.  But you're playing with fire by experimenting with solids.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Stacy_WLS
on 2/6/15 8:06 am

Yup.  What she said!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

mickeymantle
on 2/6/15 8:06 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

always follow your surgeons plan he/she always knows best

my plan skips from full liquid to all food after 2 weeks but told to start with softer stuff like eggs, baked talopia

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Flabaway
on 2/6/15 8:11 am, edited 2/6/15 8:13 am
VSG on 01/05/15 with

My surgeons plan was 1 week clear liquids, 2 weeks full liquids ( puréed soup etc) 1 week soft foods, then regular food. 

Its really important to follow the guideline set for you. Your sleeve will probably be all healed after 3 weeks, and I know that I felt ready for soft foods after a couple days of full liquids, but I stuck with it because I didnt want to jeopardize my new stomach. Give time for the staples and stitches to heal and the protective lining to regenerate. 

Also remember that all those stomach nerves were severed, so you're not feeling what your sleeve might be trying to tell you. Don't rush    it! On top of that the diet will help you continue to lose weight!

Good luck!

KathyA999
on 2/6/15 8:14 am

My surgeon's plan was 10 days clear liquids, 10 days all liquids, then soft/mushy foods.  So approx. 3 weeks.  I followed it to a "T". 

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

rocky513
on 2/6/15 8:15 am, edited 2/6/15 8:15 am - WI

You need to follow your surgeons plan.  You should be asking yourself why you're choosing to not listen to your surgeon and asking a bunch of strangers on the internet if it is OK?  If you trusted your surgeon enough to do the surgery, then you should trust him to give you an appropriate eating plan.  You are less than two weeks out and are still healing.  Over eating can cause you SERIOUS harm.  Your stomach nerves have been cut and are not sending the proper messages to your brain regarding pain, fullness, etc.   You may not be feeling any damage you may be doing because of this.  There are reasons your surgeon gives you rules to follow.  They are not optional.  They are necessary and he knows what he's doing. 

I was on clear liquids for a week and full liquids for two weeks.  At three weeks I tried soft food and was not ready for it, so my surgeon kept me on full liquids until week 4.  

Don't push yourself.  Follow your surgeon's plan.  Remember...just because you "can" doesn't mean you "should".  I'm sure chicken and whole wheat pasta is not on your eating plan at less than two weeks out.  I am 5 years out from surgery and STILL don't eat pasta.  It has very little nutritional value.  Protein first, then veggies.  Starchy foods will slow your weight loss.

Best wishes to you.  Take care of yourself.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

PrayMore
on 2/6/15 9:26 am

I concur with that everyone else said about following the surgeon's plan! But I wanted to add that I'm not so sure you should be eating whole wheat pasta! I'd stick with the straight protein! 

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

Melanielw
on 2/6/15 9:39 am
VSG on 01/21/15

I personally have no idea how you could get pasta or chicken down at this point in your healing process. I think you are advancing yourself a little too much. It really stinks following the surgeons plan sometimes but it is for the best. I am just now starting week 3 and I am allowed to have soft mushy foods. I did clear liquids the first week, and full liquids the second week. So your plan set by the surgeon sounds pretty normal to me. 

ShrinkingViolet2013
on 2/6/15 9:49 am

I'm not a dietician, but I agree with others - follow your surgeon's plan.  I was on clear fluids for a week, and then 3 weeks of protein shakes along with those clear fluids.  I wasn't on any pureed foods until after those first 4 weeks.  I'm 15 months out and I still eat protein first, then vegetables, then fruit, then maybe carbs (if there is even any room).  The protein is critical, and pasta was a "no-no" until well after a year for me.  I can't eat more than 5-6 ounces of food, so the protein is key. Good luck!

Most Active