Hi! I am scheduled to have my VSG in the summer and I am nervous...have questions

JB808
on 2/11/15 10:59 am

I wanted to know mainly about the excess skin.  I don't have the money for plastic surgery and i know that it is not covered by insurances.

How big of a problem is the excess skin once you begin to lose the weight?  Not that I am trying to wear a bikini, but I also don't want to have to wear a mumu at the pool anymore either.  Exercise I have fallen in love with it but my knees have given me an issue.....will that get better?

mickeymantle
on 2/11/15 3:01 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

insurance may pay for the removal of excess skin on your belly , not a tummy tuck just the skin , you need medical documentation that there is a medical necessity, any time you get a rash yeast infection in the folds go to your doctor and get them on the record 

do your exercise in the pool , water aerobics burns a ton of calories and is easy on the back and knees, if that is to hard there is water walking , I could barely walk at the start of my journey   but now walk all around the mall   

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Tracy D.
on 2/12/15 12:24 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

No one can predict the amount of excess skin you'll have.  Some people are very lucky and it "snaps back" pretty well.  However, they are usually young, have darker skin tone and haven't been morbidly obese for too long.   If you've been morbidly obese for decades, have very dry or fair skin and lots of stretch marks...don't expect miracles.  

Is my excess skin a problem?  Only in my head - I can hide it very well with clothes and it doesn't cause me sores or get in my way.  I have to wear board shorts instead of a regular swim suit bottom because my excess tummy skin hangs out the leg holes (not a lot, but there).  

As for your knees, you'll probably get some relief just because they won't have to bear so much weight naymore.  But if you've damaged the cartilage or have arthritis you'll still have issues.  

All of us have to accept the fact that there is going to be some damage to our bodies that is irreversible.  But I don't know of anybody who wants to go back to being super-fat so they don't have "excess skin" 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active