home from hospital HELP

Jack Allen
on 2/11/15 6:02 pm - Leesburg, VA

I got a much better night sleep last night but still up 4 times and at 4am I just got up for the day.

concerned about my ability to sip - at this point I can take 2-3 ml ever 5 to 7 min. is that normal?

my sleeve feels everything too - protein shake, water, broth. very sensitive, will this dimish as time goes by?

the only thing that seems to go down easy is crushed ice. I chewup the ice and swallow and it goes down easy.

suggestions?

47 yrs old (feel 25) 6'6" tall, 1/10/2015 = 340,  highest weight = 360, VSG scheduled 2/11/2015

Mary Gee
on 2/11/15 7:39 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
Everything you are experiencing is completely normal....keep sipping away. Things will improve as you heal. Congratulations on your successful surgery!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Grim_Traveller
on 2/11/15 7:41 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It's pretty normal. If you can get more fluid in with ice than water, do it. Maybe you need just really cold water. Sugar free popcicles are very popular early out. Get the fluid in any way you can.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Melanielw
on 2/11/15 7:41 pm
VSG on 01/21/15

It took me a couple of days before I could sleep through the night. I believe its the anesthesia that kind of knocks you into a weird sleep schedule right after surgery. I slept for like 3 days it felt like, but then at night I could never sleep. I'm not sure exactly how much I could drink at first but I know it wasn't much. Just make sure you are drinking what you can as often as you can and you will be fine. The sensitivity to fluids should go away with time. If it doesn't though I would call your surgeon. I am at the beginning of my 4th week post op and my stomach is still sensitive to things. 

Pamela M.
on 2/11/15 8:39 pm - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 08/25/14

Everything you are experiencing sounds normal and yes, your new sleeve is very tender and sensitive.  Take everything nice and slow and get the fluids in however you can - ice, popsicles, cold, warm . . . whatever works.  Your new stomach will calm down but it is going to take TIME.  Be patient and in just a few short weeks you will be feeling great!  Congratulations!

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.   Henry David Thoreau

toddwho23
on 2/11/15 9:05 pm

I feel you! I am 10 days post-op and it does get better! Crushed ice and Popsicles are my constant go-to. I tend to gulp even when sipping, so I've been using a teaspoon to slowly drink warm broth; it's helped. Also, if I do take too big a sip, I'll hold part of it in my mouth and slowly swallow in increments - that sounds gross, but tends to help. Hang in there!

csbsteph
on 2/11/15 9:34 pm - AL
VSG on 03/13/14

Yes normal stuff.  What Grim said above + others too, take small sips.  SF popsicles were my favorite back then but I could only eat half of one at a time and saved the rest for later.  Couldn't eat the red ones for some reason...dunno why, anyway what you're going through is normal hang in there & best wishes.  As I remember I had trouble getting down water and Doc instructed me to take small sips every 15/30 mins.  Don't worry about getting in huge amounts of water right now but do keep on sipping/eating ice to avoid dehydration.  My sleep is still messed up but I struggled with insomnia even before VSG, I'm full of energy each day til mid afternoon then crash...I combat that with treadmill walking but still have a hard time falling into a deep sleep. 

With God ALL things are possible! VSG 3/13/14 Dr. John Mathews

Tracy D.
on 2/12/15 12:08 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Yup - normal.  You're not going to see a big change in how much you can drink at one time until about 4-5 weeks post-op.  Then you'll notice a difference.  

Also, experiment with different temps of liquids.  You might need things to be really cold right now (I did) and later on that may not feel good in your stomach.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

GoBlueGirl1998
on 2/12/15 12:17 am - MI

I used sugar free popscicles & jello to get my liquids in! You may want to try that! Mine was more because I needed variety! I didn't feel much when I drank.

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Jack Allen
on 2/12/15 2:54 am - Leesburg, VA

Mmmmmmmm home made slushis. Ice water crystal lite blender. Pretty good. Ice is going down way easier than water or anything  else. My wife just brought me home some Luigis italian ice sugar free. Awesome . Buy sto k in them cause for the next 2 weeks im gonna be eating those. Saving the cups so that i can start making my own. Maybe i will break out the margarita maker for the shaved ice. No alcohol of course. Starting to feel human again. Thanks guys. 

I wonder if i could make a frozen protein shake and eat that? Gonna go freeze a couple right now . 

47 yrs old (feel 25) 6'6" tall, 1/10/2015 = 340,  highest weight = 360, VSG scheduled 2/11/2015

Most Active