Day 4 post-op. What have I done?!?!

samanthalc
on 5/22/15 5:39 am
with

I am exhausted, and in a medium amount of pain.  I've seen that it's not uncommon to be a bit miserable at this point, and people have said it gets better.  All of that said, I think my expectation of a quick and easy recovery was a bit unrealistic. This will pass, I hope.

Also- I've never thought I'd celebrate every fart and burp.

psychoticparrot
on 5/22/15 6:10 am

Samantha, what you're feeling is par for the course. Some people do recover very quickly, but others (including me) have a rougher time of it. You've just had major surgery, and your body is telling you that you need to adjust your expectations. You may even think you've made a huge mistake to have the surgery. All normal. Give your body the time it needs to adapt to its new cir****tances. 

This will pass, I know.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

samanthalc
on 5/22/15 8:11 am
with

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond, this is reassuring.

Tracy D.
on 5/21/15 11:20 pm, edited 5/22/15 1:48 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I think recovery can be especially difficult for people who've never had major surgery before.  It's hard to know what to expect.  Before VSG I had two C-sections (the old-fashioned vertical cut) and a gallbladder removed.  So I was realistic in my expectations.  I felt pretty good at 7 days out but it took a good 2-3 weeks before I felt like my energy level was back to normal.  And that was with zero complications other than excess acid/reflux.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

samanthalc
on 5/22/15 8:12 am
with

Thank you!

Y D.
on 5/22/15 9:15 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with
On May 22, 2015 at 6:20 AM Pacific Time, Tracy D. wrote:

I think recovery can be especially difficult for people who've never had major surgery before.  It's hard to know what to expect.  Before VSG I had two C-sections (the old-fashioned vertical cut) and a gallbladder removed.  So I was realistic in my expectations.  I felt pretty good at 7 days out but it took a good 2-3 weeks before I felt like my energy level was back to normal.  And that was with zero complications other than excess acid/reflux.  

+1

I felt well enough to return to work at 7 days post op, but if I could have- I would have stayed off another week, because my energy level just wasn't there. And I was quite mentally foggy.

Linda Paro
on 5/22/15 8:28 am - Seneca, KS

I had complications with my surgery which kept me in ICU for 2 days, but I am now 3 months post-op today and don't regret a thing.  I was wondering if I had made a mistake by having the surgery for a couple of weeks after and I was miserable because I couldn't drink or eat very much.  But I can tell you that I am so glad that I had the surgery!!  Everyone says that it will get better and believe me IT DOES.  I am happier now that I have lost 61 pounds.

Good luck!

momsy55
on 5/22/15 8:37 am - ME

Hi Samantha.  It really does get better!  I had a smooth recovery, but I was tired at the point you're at.  I did drive 4 days after surgery, but only a couple of miles and with my husband, so he could drive back.  I had much more energy the second week, but still couldn't overdo.  Try to rest when you need to, but move around as well and try to get your fluids in.  Moving around as much as possible will help get rid of the gas.  To give you some more perspective, I was back to work after a couple of weeks, and started an adult dance class 3 weeks to the day of surgery, and I was 56.  I'm not saying you will experience the same, as we're all different, but I went from being wiped out to feeling pretty good in a relatively short time. 

One other thing - if you haven't had a BM, you may want to call your WLS program and ask them what to do to prevent constipation.  I waited until day 9 and had to blast my system out with MOM.  Being proactive now may save you more discomfort.  Good luck and keep us all posted!  Hugs, Mary

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Gwen M.
on 5/22/15 9:29 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You just had major surgery - go easy on yourself :D  It will definitely get better!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mandidel
on 5/22/15 2:18 pm

I am 10 days out, and trust me...I had the same feelings! I am starting to feel more like myself each day, and that is really helping my mental state. I thought I was superwoman too, and that it was going to be a piece of cake, but it has been harder than I expected! Every day right now will get better and better for you. Day 4 was my lowest point. Keep the faith that tomorrow you will feel better!

5'9"

Most Active