Not hungry, but not feeling full either

SassyAmy
on 8/19/15 6:42 am
VSG on 08/05/15

As I'm sure you know by now, I was sleeved on 8/5. I'm sticking to the diet that my nutritionist gave me and am on the 'pureed food' stage. I am eating foods on the list, but I find that I don't get the "full" feeling everyone talks about. Is that because I'm sticking to eating 2-4oz of food every meal, which isn't my sleeve capacity? I'm also not feeling hunger, which I know is normal.

I'm so new to this whole thing and I'm worried I'm doing something wrong, since the scale isn't really moving (although I haven't looked at it in a few days), but maybe I just hit my 3 week stall a week early? What do you guys thing?

~*All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney*~

Sleeved on August 5th, 2015 |  HW: 292 | SW: 275 | GW: 135

Ahmadk
on 8/19/15 6:54 am, edited 8/19/15 6:56 am

As I'm sure you know by now, I was sleeved on 8/5. I'm sticking to the diet that my nutritionist gave me and am on the 'pureed food' stage. I am eating foods on the list, but I find that I don't get the "full" feeling everyone talks about. Is that because I'm sticking to eating 2-4oz of food every meal, which isn't my sleeve capacity? I'm also not feeling hunger, which I know is normal.

I'm so new to this whole thing and I'm worried I'm doing something wrong, since the scale isn't really moving (although I haven't looked at it in a few days)--last time I checked, I'd lost 9lbs since surgery, but maybe I just hit my 3 week stall a week early? What do you guys think?

rocky513
on 8/19/15 7:32 am - WI

Your stomach nerves have been cut and you will not feel restriction for several months. My best advice to you is to not chase the "full feeling".  We have used the "full feeling" as a crutch.  Many of us have never allowed ourselves actually to feel hunger.  Measure your portion size out and then stop eating.  We need to learn how to be satisfied with a smaller portion.  It will take time for your brain to catch on to this, but practice makes perfect.

Over eating at this early stage can cause SERIOUS complications.  Please don't push your food progression too soon.

Keep working your program, follow the rules, and the weight will come off.  Stay off the scale if it stresses you out.  

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

SassyAmy
on 8/19/15 9:46 am
VSG on 08/05/15

I promise I'm not pushing myself. I never ear more than 4oz of anything at a time, and usually I stick closer to 2oz.

~*All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney*~

Sleeved on August 5th, 2015 |  HW: 292 | SW: 275 | GW: 135

emelar
on 8/19/15 8:49 am - TX

Just stick with your plan and stop worrying about it.  You will feel restriction when you hit dense proteins.  Liquids and purees tend to whoosh right through the stomach. 

suzyq584
on 8/19/15 10:03 am

Hence the purpose of being on the pureed food stage correct?  (I'm still learning too!)

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/15 11:32 am

Liquids, full liquids, and purees all help the stomach during the recovery and healing process in a few ways:

1. liquids go right through with the stomach not having to do any work. Full liquids allow the stomach to get used to having something in it again without having to really predigest food before it is delivered to the small intestine. Purees encourage the stomach to start churning again and getting back to normal work.

2. The nerves to the stomach have been severed and many post op patients have absolutely no sense of physical fullness. The signal system to the brain isn't working. By sticking to the liquid and semi liquid foods and sticking to measured portions the patient puts only a minimal amount of pressure on the staple line in the stomach. This is imperative during the first 6 weeks post surgery. (An important statistic is that 90%+ of all gastric leaks occur after a patient leaves the hospital and correlate with non compliance to dietary restrictions.)

emelar
on 8/19/15 2:13 pm - TX

What Kairk said. 

Gwen M.
on 8/19/15 9:40 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I didn't get full until I started eating dense foods which was at the 6 week mark for me.  I also didn't feel hunger.  

I think if you're sticking to your plan and getting in your protein and liquids, you'll be fine :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MommaGbear
on 8/19/15 12:04 pm
VSG on 04/29/15 with

I had my surgery in late April, and I feel my restriction more in the past 2 weeks than I have before at all. During my liquid and puree stage, I was hungry a lot. So much so that my nutritionist had me add in small amounts of carbs because my blood sugar kept dropping all over the place (I'm not and have never been diabetic, but I do get hypoglycemic). Measure your food and eat only that. If you aren't hungry, there is no reason to worry about it at all. Follow the plan, and the weight will come off. I'm down 56 pounds from my high weight of 291 and over 50 of that is post-op. It *will* work if you work it.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 36 views