Sleeved in Mexico? Question about your "support" person.

Sherrie P.
on 10/18/15 4:07 pm, edited 10/18/15 5:25 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

I am very excited that my husband has decided to proceed with the sleeve. I am post-op band to bypass.

He is going to have it done in Mexico - and I am going to be there with him. Florence Hospital in Tijuana.

Just wondering how things went for your spouse/support person there. Any tips or advice for either of us would be great.

The instructions suggested I bring a pillow and a blanket --- that's a whole new luggage situation!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/15 4:56 pm
VSG on 08/15/15 with

Not sure who his doctor is, but I had my VSG with dr Alvarez on 8/15/15. My hubby went with me and they treated him amazing!!! Ordered food for him, checked on him as often as they checked on me ( several times a day) took all of us our for a stroll and tour of town and the husbands got local ice cream. It was a great chance to walk a good distance the day after surgery. We packed very light. They provided his bedding area, so we did not need to pack those items. We did bring our IPad, and a couple books. Most of the TV is in Spanish, so unless you are fluent, it can be tough finding something to watch.

We had an outstanding experience. I have written more on it in the Mexico forum. But Dr A and his entire staff were top notch. My mother is planning to go to him in January next year! I can't wait to be her support person when she goes, and I'll probably be at goal by then!! Can't wait to see Dr A again.

Good luck!

Kathy7631
on 10/18/15 7:10 pm - Vero Beach, FL

I went to Dr. Garcia in Tijuana in April. hubby was my support. He slept in a futon in my room for the 2 nights. My "go to person" was able to direct him to coffee & food, as the Hospital Cer did not provide for him. He had no complaints. We stayed at the Marriott for 3 nights, & had room service or ate in the restaurant, which was great. He was very impressed with the whole experience. Tomorrow is his turn, but it will be done locally....it is all about the insurance. Good luck!

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/15 2:43 am

Where I went your support person slept on a futon. Something to read would be good and perhaps other things to occupy your time as your husband naps. Maybe you will get TV in English. Some tv plans in Tijuana offer that. I wish you both good luck. Your husband is lucky to have you there with him.

Sandra F.
on 10/19/15 6:12 am

I had mine with Dr. Garcia last October (2014) and he was still doing them at Florence back then. There was plenty of room in the room for my husband. They had a bed for him to sleep on too. The hospital is not the newest in the world, but nice and very clean.

SilverGirl2015
on 10/19/15 9:03 am

I had my surgery 8/1/15 - at MiDoctor Hospital (Dr. Elias Ortiz) in Tiajuana. My daughter went with me, and she had a good experience - she spent the one hospital night with me, and stayed in the hotel with me the rest of the time. The facilitators with the program I was with could not have been nicer, made sure she had everything she needed. Both of us were very well cared for. They took the group of support people out for meals, took all of us on a trip to the beach. I would highly recommend "Alighterme.com". They made the whole experience easy, comfortable and stress free.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 28 views