Emotional Eating 6 Weeks Post-Op

(deactivated member)
on 11/24/15 5:18 pm, edited 11/24/15 11:07 am

I'm so sorry for your loss. Such heartbreak...you are mourning and are dealing with grief. Your minor transgression with your food intake is not only understandable, but perfectly acceptable because of the cir****tances.

I believe it is perfectly normal to fall back on tried and true methods of self soothing during times of emotional turmoil - even after WLS and even when consciously trying to do your level best to stay on program. Eating is what you did in the past to make yourself feel better in the short term. Eating is a "go to" coping strategy for most of us. Understand that you just did what you knew how to do. That's all. As you get farther out and more secure in your eating program, stress will have a different effect on you. If I'm under stress now I'm less inclined to eat than in the old days. I can actually feel my stomach tighten or knot up and I don't want to eat. 

I'm going to guess that your hunger after the funeral had more to do with stress and over production of acid due to a very stressful morning, (Your body can over produce acid during a time of stress) coupled with the desire to emotionally eat. I would monitor my hunger for the next few days and see if that starving feeling returns. If it continues, call your surgeon pronto! It's really early out in your journey to be feeling ravenous hunger, so a continuation of extreme hunger is most likely over production of acid, which you want to treat right away. 

Carbs is carbs. Chocolate cake and oatmeal cookies are pretty much the same in my book. They both turn to easily digestible highly refined liquid carbs in the sleeve and pass right on through to the gut. Protein bar won't do much for you either as far as being satisfying - at least they never did for me. All three of the food items you mentioned are in my opinion "slider foods". Even at six weeks out, they won't do too much for helping you feel restriction.

Want to feel the restriction? Eat lean, dense, protein without sauce of any kind. That will close your pyloric valve in a heart beat and help you through those times when you want to eat emotionally. 

You will be okay. You've done something very important today. You took responsibility for what you ate, you posted it to get it off your chest, and you are looking for ways to improve how you deal with stressful situations in the future. I think you clearly have your priorities well thought through and are setting yourself up for success, not at all the contrary. 

GoBlueGirl1998
on 11/25/15 5:21 am - MI

I lost my Dad shortly after surgery! It was definitely a challenge to not emotionally eat. I know this is easier said then done, but focus on you and your end goal. There will most likely be additional bumps in road here.....especially with the holidays!! For me I used my Dad's loss as motivation. I knew how much he supported my decision for surgery and I used that as motivation to stay on track and get to the end goal.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I know this time is difficult! Best wishes to you and your family. 

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

iloveravens
on 11/25/15 5:26 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Everyone has given you great advice, I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry for your loss. 

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Grim_Traveller
on 11/25/15 5:57 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm so sorry. I've been thinking about what else to say, but I have no words.

You had a tiny hiccup with food. I'd have eaten a lot more crap than that. A LOT more. When you get back on track, you won't even remember the little bit of bad food.

Hugs.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

suzyq584
on 11/25/15 7:23 am

I too am so sorry for your loss.  I hope you can find comfort in the wonderful memories of your little brother.  Be kind to yourself and do the best you can.

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

Ready2goNOW
on 11/28/15 2:44 pm

I appreciate everyone's kind responses to my post. I learn something new here everyday...mostly about the kindness and consideration of others.

Somehow, after being on here for almost a year and going thru 6 months of pre-op prep I missed the part about cookies, cake, etc. being able to pass thru the sleeve. I thought or expected that any thing I ate would result in restriction if I exceeded 3 or 4 ounces this early on. I am now realizing this is not the case. 

I am finding I can consume about 900-1000 calories without a problem. I do not see my nutritionist again until January, and the surgeon for another week. Neither told me to focus on a specific calorie limit, but emphasized my water and protein intake, and to avoid foods with no nutritional value.

So now I am a hot mess, but crawling my way back on track. the funeral on Tuesday and holiday on Thursday were a definite challenge. I need to post a sign in my kitchen asking if it is head or real hunger! ONE thing that does add to my confusion is I think it is head hunger, but my stomach is growling and feeling empty a couple hours after eating!And yes, I take a daily antacids.

I'll tell you...sometimes the struggle is real. Thanks for all the feedback...

Kathy

hollykim
on 11/28/15 4:45 pm, edited 11/28/15 8:45 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 28, 2015 at 10:44 PM Pacific Time, Ready2goNOW wrote:

I appreciate everyone's kind responses to my post. I learn something new here everyday...mostly about the kindness and consideration of others.

Somehow, after being on here for almost a year and going thru 6 months of pre-op prep I missed the part about cookies, cake, etc. being able to pass thru the sleeve. I thought or expected that any thing I ate would result in restriction if I exceeded 3 or 4 ounces this early on. I am now realizing this is not the case. 

I am finding I can consume about 900-1000 calories without a problem. I do not see my nutritionist again until January, and the surgeon for another week. Neither told me to focus on a specific calorie limit, but emphasized my water and protein intake, and to avoid foods with no nutritional value.

So now I am a hot mess, but crawling my way back on track. the funeral on Tuesday and holiday on Thursday were a definite challenge. I need to post a sign in my kitchen asking if it is head or real hunger! ONE thing that does add to my confusion is I think it is head hunger, but my stomach is growling and feeling empty a couple hours after eating!And yes, I take a daily antacids.

I'll tell you...sometimes the struggle is real. Thanks for all the feedback...

sleeved stomachs make all kinds of loud noise. Mine still does at nearly 6 years out.mthat may or may not mean you. Need to eat. It usually doesn't,but if you are feeling empty ,you might need to eat. 

If you can't eat much ,then you know your sleeve is still full and it might have been head hunger. Always eat some dense  protein then,because other slider foods will not relieve that empty feeling.

it could also be dehydration. Sometimes the body is needing water and that masquerades as hunger.

Patti2015
on 12/1/15 9:53 am
VSG on 10/12/15

I'm so sorry, I wish that I could take away your pain and sorrow...sending prayers and love to you and your family. I had my surgery on Oct. 12th and one of the things my surgeon told me was to take 20mg of omeprazole or some other ppi twice a day. Not only does it control acid but will also help control hunger. On the days that I have forgotten to take my afternoon dose, I am starving! What you need to remember is that cake, cookies, etc. break down and liquify and are passed really fast through your sleeve, which is probably why you feel that your sleeve didn't work. In the future maybe you can go in another room, go outside or take a walk. Lastly, forgive yourself, you're human and need to grieve. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views