Stick to the plan?

breezy25
on 2/10/16 6:30 pm

I haven't had surgery yet - I'm self paying and have my surgical consult March 2 so I don't know the answer to this.

I keep hearing people say "stick to the plan and the weight will fall off."  But what is the plan? Lol.

Dan1962
on 2/10/16 7:03 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

I received mine with instructions when I left the hospital.  It was very detailed and tells you what and how much to eat and drink for the first month at least.  

breezy25
on 2/10/16 7:12 pm

Oh ok. But it seems like folks are talking more long term. Is it just low carb basically?

Dan1962
on 2/11/16 2:55 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

I had many dr and nutritionist appointments post op and we just kind of tweaked it along the way.  Yes I kept my carbs below 35 grams and now at goal and maintaining, i'm about 75 per day.  I also avoid refined carbs as much as possible.  Two meals down today and I'm at 32 grams and its all from vegetables.  I eat lots of dense protein.  I'm really disciplined about it.  It has become a way of life.

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/16 7:11 pm

It really depends upon your bariatric center's program and nutritional philosophy. 

A very standard guideline used by many WLS patients is as follows:

*600-800 calories per day (maximum),

*80 grams of protein per day (minimum)

*Under 40 grams of carbohydrates per day.

*The rest of your calories will be made up from fat or extra protein. 

There are several eating stages after surgery: Clear liquids, full liquids, purees (or mushies), soft foods, and finally no food limitations. You should be given a manual by your center listing the stages, the duration of each stage, and the foods you are allowed to eat during each stage. 

breezy25
on 2/10/16 7:14 pm

Thank you!! Yes this is helpful. Is it me or does 80 g of protein a lot?!

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/16 7:18 pm

For many obese people 80 grams of protein may seem like a lot because most of us have been used to eating a high carbohydrate diet and have lacked adequate protein. I am 4 years post op and my protein goal is 100+ grams of protein per day. 

During rapid weight loss you will need extra protein so that your body does not cannibalize your muscle tissue (this includes your heart muscle). It's actually a very good idea to start with a high protein diet well before your surgery to get your body ready for the insult of surgery and the instant ultra low calorie diet you'll be on immediately after surgery. 

breezy25
on 2/10/16 7:39 pm

I think that's good advice. Also, in the last when I've "quit carbs" it's made me feel like absolute **** for a week or so. Must be carb withdrawal!!

I totally understand that this is a huge commitment and will take a lot of change on my part but I would be lying if I didn't say I was scared of failing. I guess I need to get out my food scale and see what 80g of protein looks like.

shery11ynn
on 2/11/16 5:19 am

I use the "My Fitness Pal" app on my smart phone, as many on this site do. It's a web page as well if you don't have a smart phone. I just enter what I eat, and it calculates nutrition not only on an individual entry level, but also overall for the day. You can set your own goals as well.

breezy25
on 2/11/16 5:46 am

Yes, I've used it many times in the past and it really makes tracking so much easier. I'll def utilize it again!

Most Active