How did you deal with the anxiety leading up to surgery?

breezy25
on 3/3/16 4:40 am

Now, I will say I suffer from anxiety and just came off my meds a couple weeks ago because they made me gain weight. I've tried several other meds and nothing seems to be a good fit, so...I'm sort of on my own here at the moment.

Yesterday I got my surgery date (April 4) and wasn't expecting it to be so soon. I felt really panicked for a minute there! My BP is always on the lower side of normal and when I was at the surgeons office it was 137/94!

Anyway, how do you cope with the nerves? I know it's normal and even people who don't suffer from anxiety feel scared and nervous before a big operation. I should say one of the biggest anxities I have is health anxiety....so of course I'm worried even more so!

I'm just a bundle of nerves. Talk me down, someone!! lol.

sanjali23
on 3/3/16 5:31 am - Orlando, FL
VSG on 02/12/14

It is extremely nerve racking leading up to surgery and I was a wreck. What I did was spend all my time planning for surgery day, meal plans for after surgery, strategies for walking, buying all the items I'd need to for hospital, packing my bag, and surfing OH

Success is getting what you want, happiness is wanting what you get. ”

— Dave Gardner

Eggface
on 3/3/16 5:44 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Congratulations on your date! It is nerve wracking but also exhilarating (focus on the good: resolving health issues, something you want to do weight/health has held you back from,) and take comfort in the fact that overwhelming most of us... if someone started a "would you do it again?" post... most of us would say "YES!! in a nano-second." If someone started a "do you have any regrets?" post... most of us would say "Not doing it sooner." That will be you in a few months too :)

Personally, having weight loss surgery was truly the best gift I ever gave myself. It was the helping hand I needed to make some life changes... and I would do it again in a nano-second. 

Sending you good wishes... You've got this! and remember you have a ton of people here that have your back... listen, answer Q's and share resources. 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

breezy25
on 3/3/16 6:51 am

Thank you!! I am 35 and I have been lucky enough not to have any health problems relating to my obesity - yet. But honestly my fear of becoming sick due to my choices is what led me to the decision to have surgery. That and the fact that I want my life back! 

No more seat belt extenders on the airplane, no more sore feet and knees, no more wondering if I'll break a lawn chair, no more shopping from two racks at the store. I'm so ready! I have to keep coming back here to see all the success stories and know I'm not alone in my fears.

JP807
on 3/11/16 7:16 pm
VSG on 04/21/16

I am so with you on all that...I am 46 and have 8byear old twins and an awesome wife...I want this as much for them as for me. My nerves have sky rocketed and I try to stay grounded. All I have heard is do it...I never had any surgery nor any health problems, but have siblings that are starting too. I just want my life back and to give my family what we all deserve. I want the change. You know what people who ever say this is a cop out are totally wrong, seems like it is harder...but if they ever had our problems they would know we would do anything to enjoy the simple pleasures of life. You can do this...I can do it...we will do it!

Scott S.
on 3/3/16 5:49 am - TX

I read the Roker book.  As with any surgery, there was risk.  After surgery, there was the "Why the ---- did I do this to myself" moment.  That went away quickly and after I dropped 10lbs!

Good luck!

VSG: 8/8/13 

wtmmoorem
on 3/3/16 6:04 am
VSG on 03/08/16

I am right there with you on the anxiety.  I went to my orientation class to get information on surgery on 1/7/16 and now I'm having surgery on 3/8/16.  Talk about fast!!  Going from thinking about it to doing it within 61 days.  My stomach is doing flip flops too.

Tiki3211
on 3/3/16 6:20 am

First Congratulations!  I had the same nervous anxiety you are expressing, but the closer I got to my surgery I knew this was what was going to help me become a healthier person.  I am 5 months out of surgery, beginning at 283 lbs. and now i'm down to 218 lbs.  Regardless of the weight loss I feel great.  The day of surgery a calm came over me...kind of an acceptance....then it was all good.  I have no regrets, but one....that I didn't do this sooner in my life.  Good luck on your journey and best wishes on your surgery day.  Let us know how you do.

breezy25
on 3/3/16 6:51 am

You guys rock. THANK YOU!!!!!

Luvmygs
on 3/3/16 9:15 am
VSG on 12/04/14

I had total trust and admiration of my surgeon. I too felt a little anxiety going through the process of WLS. But once I met with my surgeon, all that anxiety and emotional issues melted away. My surgeon was so upbeat and confident, it gave me so much admiration for her. Try going onto uTube and look up music for anxiety. This music with binaural beats and isochronic tone will help sooth anxiety and stress. Even help you sleep better! Try it. Better than meds. Good luck. Christine

PS: you'll need headphones

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 51 views