Frustrated by the 3 week plateau! And constipated too. :(

Kathleen14
on 5/12/16 1:24 pm
VSG on 04/20/16

I've read about the plateau pre and post surgery but here it is I guess. I've been analyzing what the heck I've been doing wrong but maybe it really is just the plateau. I journal everyday, get at least 60-70 grams of protein, drink at least 64oz of water, count the carbs and calories (under 650) but trapped at the same weight for 5 days now. I'm 50 and have had a harder time losing weight the last few years so I thought that was the problem. I'm horribly constipated and tried Miralax until my Surgeon recommended taking BENEFIBER instead because of the way Miralax uses all the water from your organs. (It worked but NOT pleasant) so now I am frustrated and constipated and even though I know this happens to so many I'm concerned the weight loss will take ages to restart or be extremely slow. Also having trouble tolerating mushies, mostly stick to cottage cheese and yogurt and shakes. IM going to try to up my water to 100oz as I read from another poster and my protein to ??? Sorry, just frustrated...needed to vent. PLus, my husband who didn't have the surgery but is being very supportive and eating much better than before has lost more than me. Good for him but  I'm sipping on protein shakes after having a large section of my stomach cut out and he's eating actually meals with actual food and losing more weight than me! Ahhh! Frustrated. And constipated.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/12/16 2:55 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

This is completely normal. Keep doing what you're doing.

We get a bit "spoiled" in the early days post-op since we lose so quickly. After that, you will NOT lose weight every day. Heck, you may not lose weight every week!

Beyond the 3-week bump, an ACTUAL stall is a 4-week period with no change in either weight or measurements. They happen. It's part of the journey.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Kathleen14
on 5/12/16 3:14 pm
VSG on 04/20/16

Thanks so much for the reply! I just spent 3 hours reading everything on here and am feeling better. I basically lost the same ten lbs I gained after surgery plus ten whi*****ludes my one week pre-op diet. Not feeling as spoiled as I'd like too! But I get it. I've just been feeling a bit down, struggling with trying to eat new foods and ready to never set eyes on a protein shake again! LOL 

But this is a long term journey and I'm here to do it right. And Oh please let me never have a 4 week stall! And, btw Congratulations on your weight loss! I see your name a lot here...nice to meet you. 

on 5/13/16 8:25 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Glad to meet you too! :)

Some people lose slowly at first. Sometimes we retain fluid after surgery and that can screw with the loss. But slow and steady is the name of the game, and things do look up quite a bit when you can have "actual" food like tuna salad and scrambled eggs.

You can do it!!

Jojo7l7
on 5/18/16 12:58 pm
VSG on 04/28/16

Hi your not alone I am losing slow and so happy for the support from this group:)

One day at a time, one day we will be where we want to be with are Waite. :) 

Kathleen14
on 5/12/16 3:46 pm
VSG on 04/20/16

One last question...Sorry to sound ignorant but I keep seeing "hag" pop up and have no idea what it means. At first I thought you guys were being rough on yourselves but seemed weird! So what's the deal? Even tried the search results-no answers! I have a feeling I will want to be one...????

Neesie57
on 5/12/16 4:43 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

A while back, one poster got snippy with several of us when we tried to give her advice.  She didn't like anything anyone said and called us hags. Since then several people have added some form of "hag" to their name.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Kathleen14
on 5/12/16 6:53 pm
VSG on 04/20/16

Thank you for the explanation. I thought it was some sort of acronym! Well, much respect to the hags who are anything but.

katblue
on 5/12/16 7:01 pm
VSG on 04/06/16

Ohhh I was wondering too!

5'7"  Start Wt 268.5 / VSG SURGERY 4/6/16 249.5 / CW 192

/ GOAL 158

M1-24  M2-9  M3-11.9 M4 - in progress

on 5/12/16 6:12 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

You won't find the post because the mods deleted it. A poster got some advice she didn't like-- apparently she wanted a pat on the head and everybody telling her she would be just fine, but the regulars gave it to her straight. Can't recall specifics, but I think something like "I'm eating French fries at 2 weeks out" and she was told to get her act together.

Instead of considering what others told her, OP instead decided to get hostile. She called a bunch of folks "ugly old hags" who are so fat we "need a crane to get [our] fat asses out of bed."

Most of us took the insult as a badge of honor, hence the display names. :)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 56 views