Huge Change in Budget for Food

ShirlAus
on 11/9/17 5:08 pm
VSG on 06/26/17

I had my operation 4 months ago and since then our grocery bill has gone down so much. I would like to think that I wasnt the only cause (2 of our sons are now living out of home) but in truth upon reflection, I am astounded at what I could eat !!!!! No wonder I got to 255lbs ........

I didnt bring lunch today (Im in Australia) so popped out and bought a large salad from the chicken shop - costing $9.00 and is HUGE. Got Chicken and Avocado Salad and other half was Seafood Salad - I ate maybe 1/4 cup and Im sooo full. Hubby and I now have dinner for our drive up to the block tonight and its protein forward - so happy

One of the benefits of this surgery is the massive cost savings - I joke with my husband that Im a cheap shout now. We share an entree often and I eat a tiny bit of his main meal and Im full. I still find I cook like the boys are still home but it means there are always 30+ meals ready to defrost in the freezer.

No regrets :)

What are your experiences?

CC C.
on 11/9/17 6:11 pm

Oh absolutely! I used to spend so much more on food. Not only at the grocery store, but massive amounts of take out and fast food, which I don't have anymore. It's a relief to not be on a constant hunt for more food.

ShirlAus
on 11/9/17 6:29 pm
VSG on 06/26/17

I hear you Cecily - I used to be able to eat the same as my 6ft +++ Sons and Hubby and Im 5ft4

Lost track of the amount of times I left a restaurant having overeaten and feeling uncomfortable. Shameful really but I guess part of the decision to have this WLS was the line in the sand to put a stop to those behaviours. For me breaking the habits has been hard at times, I have adjusted to the change over the past 4 months and will continue to do so as I imagine. I have never felt as in control of my eating as I do now - and I dont feel like Im missing out or deprived which is a blessing. As thats been a huge trigger for me in the past.

Its a true journey - across many different facets I think .....

Donna L.
on 11/9/17 6:29 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I buy more ethically sourced meat and organic food so my costs for being single are higher than they would be eating beans and such, but I spend maybe $40-50 a week for very high quality food. I think in my worst BED days I'd spend like 1k/month on food minimum, just for myself. Craziness to think of it now, that's for sure!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

ShirlAus
on 11/9/17 6:32 pm
VSG on 06/26/17

Good on you Donna :) You are worth it - every $

Donna L.
on 11/10/17 5:56 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I think we all are:) One hard lesson I wish I learned before I turned 40...we pay for health up front with good food and exercise, or we pay for it later 2x as much.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Gwen M.
on 11/10/17 9:05 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

My anatomy prof always told us that the things we do in our youth will kill us when we're old. I always hoped that late 30s was still youthful enough to turn things around!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Agran
on 11/9/17 7:16 pm

I certainly know what you mean. I commute between two different cities each week, my husband stays in our house. Not having to think about what is in the house for "us" to eat is so much easier when it's just me. I can eat the same thing all week so a couple of chicken breasts can last all week for lunch and dinner.

It is really amazing how much I used to eat as well.

Hope your house isn't too quiet without the boys.

ShirlAus
on 11/9/17 7:21 pm
VSG on 06/26/17

Sounds hectic Agran - we share our time between a house on the outskirts of town and then our little farm which is 24 acres (and 3.5 hr drive away) - Seem to always be running - so anything to save some time re cooking :)

House is quiet but I must say its kinda nice - though I love it when they come home for family dinners etc

Grim_Traveller
on 11/10/17 5:37 am
RNY on 08/21/12

A lot of people complain about the cost of vitamins and supplements. And I totally get it. It's a new expense -- one we didn't have previously. But god, the ampunt we can save on food! My monthly vitamins are only two day's worth of drive thru food! I spent more on potato chips than I do on supplements!

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active