GERD

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/12/18 10:24 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I also had mild reflux before surgery. I had a hiatel hernia corrected at the same time as VSG and I've had no problems with it.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

stacyrg
on 1/12/18 12:21 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I had zero reflux prior to surgery. Had a hiatal hernia repaired at the time of my VSG and developed severe, debilitating GERD about 8 months post op (my acid was measured at 409% higher than normal). I know people will say that repair of a hiatal hernia and a clean diet may eliminate the GERD, but knowing what I know now, if I had reflux/GERD prior to surgery I would stay far away from VSG

Nancy Geoghegan
on 1/16/18 7:46 pm - Lincoln University, PA
RNY on 01/23/18

Im so sorry to hear this. I am on Dexilant 60mg 2 times per day. I told my bariatric team that I am not willing to have the sleeve done in case the rny is impossible. I have surgery in a week and I rather wake up with no surgery than a terrible mess with GERD. I feel for you. Have you ever tried Dexilant - my dose if off label by a gastroenterologist and it was the only thing that stopped it.

Nancy Geoghegan

Donna L.
on 1/12/18 1:43 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

There is a not-insignificant chance of developing GERD after a sleeve, never mind if you already have reflux. This rate varies depending on the study. I think it's about 25% (?).

In my case, I had zero GERD, had the VSG, and wound up with GERD so bad I went to the ER once thinking it was a heart attack. Nope, it was GERD! Thanks Harvey for being a jerk sleeve.

Every post-VSG endoscopy showed an inflamed sleeve despite the PPIs controlling it well, when before there were zero signs of it. I don't want to take PPIs long term if I can avoid it, so rather than the DS, I'm revising to RNY. Just tired of dealing with GERD...it sucks.

If you have GERD, most surgeons won't do a VSG anyway. Sometimes they will do a DS, because often the weight loss component of the DS plus the surgery diet changes have a chance at resolving it (and DS sleeves are typically larger which decreases the chance of GERD), but you may always have to deal with it. The risk is no one knows what will happen.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

happyteacher
on 1/13/18 2:13 pm

Terrible Gerd before surgery. Hiatel hernia fixed during surgery, and that took care of the Gerd. Fast forward a few years, the hiatel hernia returned with a vengeance rendering me unable to keep solid food down (diseased gallbladder also an issue). That was fixed again, but have acid issues still... milder than what I had though prior to the vsg.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Nknerr
on 1/17/18 6:55 am
VBG on 12/07/17

I had pretty severe GERD before my surgery. which had caused esophagitis. Now I'm on both omeprazole and pantoprazole. I haven't had much GERD, but just the "tightening" feeling from the esophagitis. I was told that I would have to continue the pantoprazole anyway.

Most Active