Has anyone had the VSG with a Hiatal Hernia

crystalcandoit
on 1/19/18 11:13 am
RNY on 02/06/18

I was supposed to have my VSG on January 16th, and my surgeon started the surgery and after lifting my liver discovered that I had a significant hiatal hernia (about 20% of my stomach is in my chest cavity). He immediately stopped the procedure. After coming out of anesthesia, he informed me that my only option now is to have the RNY procedure. I am supposed to go his office next week to discuss my options going forward. His argument against going forward with the VSG is that a majority of patients develop significant acid reflux problems with a VSG and Hiatal hernia repair and eventually have to be revised to the RNY anyway. Has anyone here had a successful VSG with a Hiatal Hernia repair?

Starting weight-374 lbs Surgery weight-306 lbs Pre-op- -68 lbs M1- -21 lbs M2- -3 lbs M3- -13 lbs

Kjnelson
on 1/19/18 11:58 am - AK
VSG on 10/11/17

I am only 3 months out of surgery. My doctor knew before hand that I had a hernia, it was discovered in pre op tests. We still did the sleeve. I had gerd before the surgery. I have had zero problems with gerd after my surgery and even stopped taking meds for it. Maybe the position of the hernia is a factor? I don't really know. All I know is that I am fine and have had no problems.

HW: 285. SW: 269. CW: 225

VSG on 10/11/2017

Not going to quit on myself.

Harpediem
on 1/19/18 12:32 pm

I don't know why he didn't just repair it then and there at least. I was diagnosed with a small HH and will be having it repaired st the same time as VSG . If you read the literature repair at time of VSG drastically reduced chance of reflux after , but there is still s significant chance of it happening. Research figures vary, and there is a chance of possible revision required. Also many people find the weight loss after surgery helps cure the reflux, but a large HH needs repair anyway. If you really really want VSG get a second opinion. Problem is VSG is a lot newer than RNY so there are fewer long term stats.

sassyscorpio
on 1/19/18 12:56 pm

Almost every single person I have talked to whether it's online or in person has had a hiatal hernia. Everyone has had theirs repaired while they were doing the surgery, including me.

I am not sure why you would be different.

band 12-29-06     revision  to sleeve  Alberto Aceves  4-29-09

I love my sleeve!!

Lost 107 lbs and maintaining

Posted Image

JoJo_B
on 1/19/18 1:26 pm, edited 1/19/18 5:44 am

I am curious also, as I am still some time away from surgery, have had a small hernia repair in the past, and may have another popping out... Your surgeon may have more details at your follow-up with him (and I would ask for full details from all perspectives), as well as consider that second opinion. Who knows - perhaps it had something to do with the fact that the large portion of stomach that is stapled off in a VSG is removed, vs not removed in RNY, plus the resectioning of the intestines... Perhaps being partially in the chest cavity around other vital organs, blood vessels, etc, was deemed too risky at the time of your VSG for the team and OR arranged for that time.

Wish you the best and looking forward to your updates as I continue all the extensive researching and studying in this terrific and helpful site.

lbalaw2
on 1/19/18 2:23 pm
VSG on 09/19/17

I had a sliding hiatal hernia for years with reflux and stricture pain at times. I made the decision to have VSG. My surgeon repaired my hiatal hernia at the same time she did the VSG. She also repaired a small umbilical hernia that was present. I am still taking a PPI but have had no reflux issues. It has been 4 months.

age 61, HWE 330, SW 272, CW 220, LTGW 160

NYMom222
on 1/19/18 3:15 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I am surprised he didn't know you had s hiatal hernia going in. Did he do an endoscopy?

if he didn't have you sign a consent that covered hernias, I guess he was obligated not to do it. There have been quite a few people on these boards that needed to convert from VSG to RNY because of GERD, it is a real concern.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

crystalcandoit
on 1/19/18 3:24 pm
RNY on 02/06/18

I had no symptoms of a hernia pre-op, no acid reflux, no abdominal pain, and I am not sure my insurance would have paid for the endoscopy with out a valid diagnostic code. The consent did not cover hernia repair so he had no choice. I would have preferred that he just went and got consent from my husband and converted to the RNY if that is what he thought was best.. I am not happy about having to go through the pre-op and surgery all over again. He said the next surgery is more extensive and will be a 3 hour procedure. I know this sounds bad but I am having to pay my co-pays twice which will be over 1000 dollars plus an additional 20% of my hospital bill. I would have preferred to pay just once! Oh well that is such a small part of my frustration...

NYMom222
on 1/19/18 6:00 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Many practices, including the one i went to do endoscopies on everyone, part of pre-op screening. You say you would prefer he just converted to RNY, but if you woke up with a different surgery than expected that would have been very difficult too. This is a tough one... and the money stinks too. Hopefully it will all be a distant memory soon and you will be on your way...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

liltrubl
on 1/19/18 3:31 pm

I had a hiatal hernia that my surgeon found at the time of surgery and he just fixed it and moved on to the Sleeve. I know tons of ppl who had the same thing, my surgeon stated that it was common for obese ppl. No issues with Gerd or anything else. Strange that your doc cancelled it

Most Active