Total caloric intake

J9
on 7/17/18 5:46 pm
VSG on 06/28/18

i am just about 3 weeks out and cannot seem to get in more than 500-600 calories a day...is this normal?

hollykim
on 7/17/18 6:15 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 18, 2018 at 12:46 AM Pacific Time, J9 wrote:

i am just about 3 weeks out and cannot seem to get in more than 500-600 calories a day...is this normal?

totally normal and actually thT is the whole

purpose of the VSG.

Gwen M.
on 7/17/18 6:22 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

What, exactly, are you consuming each day?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

J9
on 7/17/18 6:33 pm
VSG on 06/28/18

Protein shake

greek yogurt

tuna

mashed potatoes

soup

or cottage cheese usually not all in same day

Gwen M.
on 7/18/18 3:57 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Ditch the mashed potatoes, they won't do anything for your weight loss.

How many grams of protein are you getting in? How many ounces of fluids? What are you drinking aside from the protein shake?

What size are your meals?

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

J9
on 7/18/18 8:12 am
VSG on 06/28/18

Mashed potatoes was actually recommended during pureed stage. I know long term I will have to eliminate.

I get in about 70 grams of protein a day

about 64 ounces of water plus shakes-no other fluid maybe occasional crystal light

my meals are less than 2 ounces

Gwen M.
on 7/18/18 8:19 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Just because your plan suggests mashed potatoes, doesn't mean they're a good choice to make.

Other than that, it seems like you're on the right track.

sweetpotato1959
on 7/19/18 11:35 pm

I actually had to add a few carbs back in my diet and mashed potatos were available, and easy..My clinic recommended adding their protein supplement to them, I tried it and did it a few times, but did not like vanilla flavoring added to them...LOL..I still eat a peice of baked potato..stuffed with my chopped and seasoned meat...I am "way post op" ..WLS, that i had is no longer done.(I have many issues from several of the different procedures. Problems that are common to WLS.)

I would add 15 more grams of protein and cut the potatoes to half of what you are using now. maybe to 1 oz. As your healing continues and your capacity will slowly increase as the swelling continues to subside. After proteins are in , increase your water as much as you can to help keep your liver and Gall bladder flushed and functioning well... keep it within your tolerance..as you loose the fat your liver and GB have to work really hard...

According to the Nursing Manual carbs stimulate the release of enzyme/insulin to digest carbs.( so limited carbs DO serv a purpose) . If potato is not a trigger food for you, it may work well as long as you can keep your intake low. Plain greek yugurt would be good on your portion. Avoid all trigger foods..ie, foods that make you want to eat more.

Be aware that anything with artificial chemical sweetner may stimulate your appetite. To avoid them, I would make own flavored waters with a slice or orange squeezed in or lemon, and a little stevia, i use the pyure brand, avail at wally world...it has less bitterness than the other brands I tried.. the liquid "now " brand works well , too.

Julie83854
on 8/13/18 11:16 am

Hi...what issues have you had re: .(I have many issues from several of the different procedures. Problems that are common to WLS.)?? Which surgery?

Thanks,

Julie

sweetpotato1959
on 8/13/18 12:41 pm

Julie,

I had a HYBRID surgery 23 years ago. It is no longer done.

I had a hiatal hernia repair and banding both above and below my pouch/ two different sized bands, intended to keep down chance of low intestinal blockage later from scar tissue. The closest thing that is done to it is RNY, but mine did not stop there. I also have a small bowel resection, meaning I have a pouch and a remaider of my stomach makes digestive enzymes that flow into my intestinal canal 6 feet down from the bottom of my pouch. I have 10 ft of DIGESTING small instestine and 2 ft of colon. and a large portion of colon was REMOVED. I also had appendix and Gall bladder removed. In the old stomach Surgon Professor installed a feeding port, that is surrounded by surgical clips and secured should I ever be in an accident and a feeding tube become necessary...( Dr said it cost 2$ to put it in , and could save a life to prevent further trauma when someone in distress from auto accident or sudden decline from medical event) Multiple cysts and fibroid from ovaries and uterus... all done during one 4 hour open surgery.

The result has been a mix of side effects. I had hypoglycemia extremely bad since I was in early 20's surgery in middle 30's when i had surgery. now as late as can get in 50's. Have to be careful... to avoid sugars and carbs. or I dump, like the DS, have a serious mal absorbtion for so many bouts of gastritis, caused by enzyme deficiency{ already had lactose intolerance (was not recommended for that condition,) but had never had an official dx. of lacose intolerance.}

I also experienced the exreme resriction of the VSG. My pouch capacity was 45 cc for about 8 weeks.. and I had hard time getting in my required water and my proteins.. Like the RNY,. My capacity is still between 5-6 ounces.. occassionally will tolerate even less. more in 3 oz..depends on the density of food.

This is why you may see me post on more than one section of this forum. I Have had/ or currently have a lot of issues I have had to mitigate , most of the time wihout a medical provider to do more than give an opinion. Surgeon had o retire about 3 years after my surgery- due to his own health. He said "there were no openings for a part time surgeon." Anemia, Yes i have it, Yes I take a oral capsule and yes it contains everything needed to absorb the iron... a grass fed liver from ither buffalo or beef...avail thru carlson labs. I had major tooth damage, because of magneisum and calcium abosrbtion, have since changed boh to citrate forms and added K2 to help body utilize properly

I hope I have given you the information that will help you with your life and decision.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views