GERD after VSG evaluation

(deactivated member)
on 10/31/18 8:39 am
VSG on 03/28/17

What happened (procedures and conversations) at your evaluation for GERD with a gastroenterologist or bariatric surgeon? Thanks!

stacyrg
on 10/31/18 10:42 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I had many meetings with my surgeon concerning my acid issues. The convos included discussing my symptoms, impact on my life style, test progression and possible treatments. My surgeon ordered a bunch of tests, including a barium swallow, an endoscopy, and a pH test/Manometry. The barium swallow was easy. Drink barium while they take xrays to watch its progression through the esophagus into the stomach. I didn't have any reflux events during that test.

The endoscopy was done to see if I had any lesions on my esophagus due to the acid. I did.

The pH/Manometry truly sucked. They start by taking a ling cotton swab with numbing gel and sticking it in your nose. Once youre numb, they thread a sensor through your nose that you then swallow down into the top part of your stomach. The sensor measured the pressure in your esophagus and the lower esophageal sphincter. I had to do wet swallows (they have you swallow sal****er) and then swallows with applesauce. They then removed the sensor and for my first pH test, inserted a smaller sensor (the exact same way, nose into stomach) that stayed in place for 24 hours. It was attached to a computer monitor that recorded every reflux event and the pH level. My results came back with acid levels 409% higher than normal and a DeMeester score of 83.75 (I think). My second pH test was done with a Bravo capsule that is inserted during an endoscopy. It sticks to the esophagus and also measures pH levels. It's eliminated from the body naturally.

When conversion to RNY was put on the table, he put me in touch with some other conversion patients who were able to discuss their experiences with me. We finally discussed the pros and cons of conversion v. other treatments (Stretta, continued PPI use, etc.)

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know. My original VSG was in May 2014 and I converted to RNY in July 2016

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/18 6:46 am
VSG on 03/28/17

Thank you so much. From your experience, do you think it is really important to see a bariatric surgeon specifically or would a generalist GI doctor have been able to help you as much? I'm also considering just getting an upper endoscopy at an endoscopy center and then making decisions from there about who to see. Or maybe just looking for the nearest MD who does the stretta procedure and trying to get an appointment with them. When I called to try to make an appointment with the closest bariatric surgeon to me, the receptionist told me to only make an appointment with them if I was interested in surgical options. sheesh.

Grim_Traveller
on 11/1/18 8:44 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Skip to the end of the line. Thus began as a bariatric surgery issue, so see the bariatric surgeon. Tell them you are interested in surgery if you need to. It doesn't mean you will necessarily gave surgery.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

stacyrg
on 11/1/18 2:17 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I went to my surgeon *****ferred me to a GI motility doctor for consult. I would start with a surgeon. I wouldn't jump to stretta as you need the preliminary workup to know if stretta is even a viable option.

I honestly don't even know if you can order your own endoscopy. I would start with a surgeon first and if you can't find one, go with a GI doc.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 56 views