How do you know when to eat post-surgery?

malkee
on 11/6/18 8:04 pm
VSG on 10/25/18

So I had my surgery 10/25. You might remember me from the carbonated beverages discussion a couple of weeks ago. So far, no carbonated beverages but I am having trouble distinguishing when to eat.

I just started eating real, pureed food on Saturday. Went to the surgeon Monday and had lost 6 lbs. in two weeks. It seemed like the surgeon expected me to lose more but he said I was retaining water.

But tonight I felt too full. I think it's time to eat but apparently not. Also I have diabetes and my blood sugar has been kind of low. So I decided not to eat anything for the rest of the night although it feels like I could eat again.

So I am just looking for some guidelines on how to decide when to eat.

Height: 5'3"

HW - 327

SW-272

CW - 243

GW -140

Surgery date: 10/25/18

hollykim
on 11/6/18 8:51 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 7, 2018 at 4:04 AM Pacific Time, malkee wrote:

So I had my surgery 10/25. You might remember me from the carbonated beverages discussion a couple of weeks ago. So far, no carbonated beverages but I am having trouble distinguishing when to eat.

I just started eating real, pureed food on Saturday. Went to the surgeon Monday and had lost 6 lbs. in two weeks. It seemed like the surgeon expected me to lose more but he said I was retaining water.

But tonight I felt too full. I think it's time to eat but apparently not. Also I have diabetes and my blood sugar has been kind of low. So I decided not to eat anything for the rest of the night although it feels like I could eat again.

So I am just looking for some guidelines on how to decide when to eat.

I have always eaten every 2-3 hrs,during waking hours. In between that,I am drinking something constantly.

Grim_Traveller
on 11/7/18 2:14 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I've always felt the best approach is to eat at specific times, and specific amounts. This avoids grazing, one of the worst habits we can develop. If I think I'm hungry, but it's in between meal times, then it's just head hunger and I wait. Right after surgery, eating and drinking by the clock helps you get in your necessary nutrients and fluids.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/18 8:27 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I eat to fill protein goals mostly. I say mostly because food is still delicious. I space food 2-3 hours apart and that is if I snack. If I have only one snack, or no snack I go 5 hours maybe, or if I'm busy I will forget to eat all day :( don't do that one.

itsjustmisty
on 11/7/18 12:39 pm
VSG on 10/10/18

I struggled with this too until I started to feel hunger which took a few weeks. Now 4 weeks out I don't have to guess as often. Before I would just try to consume something every couple of hours. Just a few bites usually.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views