Protein Shakes

Swilson323
on 11/12/18 2:58 am
VSG on 12/15/18

Looking for favorites.... currently I'm waiting for insurance approval and surgery date. But during this time I'm trying to figure out what protein shakes I enjoy. Give me your favs!! Any help is appreciated

rocky513
on 11/12/18 4:50 am - WI

My advice would be to get sample packets of several brands. You can go to a nutrition store or get them online. I made the mistake of stocking up on protein that I liked, only to find that after surgery I hated them. Your taste will dramatically change. I have no idea why it happens, but it does. I love my coffee but, after surgery, drinking coffee tasted like I was licking an ash tray. That lasted almost a year. Things I used to love the taste of were just disgusting to me.

Wait until after surgery to figure out what protein you like...save a little money.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

DaveNW
on 11/12/18 11:00 am
VSG on 11/05/18

I agree with the above comment - your taste buds may change, so don't spend too much money ahead of time. My go-to is Premier Protein Chocolate. I've been drinking them daily for years, and now, post-op, they are the only one I'm using. I tried a few others before surgery at the urging of my dietician, but was kind of "Meh!" on the flavor. Premier Protein always struck a note with me that works. The trick: They absolutely MUST be super cold. Icy cold. If they warm to room temperature, they're not at all good. So I keep them in the fridge, and pour off only what I intend to drink in one sitting. It works for me.

Good luck!

NYMom222
on 11/13/18 4:39 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Your tastebuds May change and then change again. I went through phases of not being able to stomach something and then going back to it.

GNC and Vitamin Shop will allow you to return open containers with receipt if you don't like it. Also Costco. Syntax is a great brand with lots of flavors and somewhere out there you can buy a whole set of their sample sizes. I like that they have flavors you can mix with water. I like fuzzy navel, tastes like orangeade- I over dilute and add a little extra sweetener. They also have ice tea and lemonade.

At 5 weeks out when I thought I couldn't stomach another protein drink, coffee flavored ones carried me through.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

itsjustmisty
on 11/13/18 6:58 am
VSG on 10/10/18

Pre surgery I had tons I didn't mind. After, I haven't found one I actually like. I tolerate them and still don't drink them much. I try to now find things with higher protein counts to help keep it up because I just can't stomach shakes anymore.

Chanelcamp26
on 11/13/18 5:47 am
VSG on 07/24/18

I completely agree with the changing taste thing. I was vegetarian going into surgery so I was drinking plant based protein drinks called evolve. However, after surgery, I wanted to throw up anytime I tried to drink one.

I have tried many brands since then and went back to eating meat. I use the GNC lean shakes. I also like the isopure drinks that are no carb and have fruit flavors.

Many like premier protein, but I wasn't a fan.

Keep trying until you find one that lives with you.

Valerie G.
on 12/7/18 8:21 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Don't try anything until you are post op...seriously!

Taste buds go completely askew after surgery.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views