Dining out

GirlSquadOfOne
on 11/29/18 2:20 pm
VSG on 09/11/18

Just wanted to share my dining out experience and see what other VSGERS do when out. I'll be completely honest I was so stressed out this past month knowing that I had 2 commitments coming up where a restaurant was required (one birthday and an anniversary). The thought of eating in front of anyone was so terrifying that I felt sick just thinking of it. What would people think or say when they saw how little I ate, Noone knew that I had a vsg so would they be judging this fat girl as a fake thinking I would binge when I got home, what could I order from the restaurant that was healthy and how am I going to be able to measure the right portions and omg what if they all want desserts or ****tails. Needless to say I was a stress ball. Now all in all I wanted to share this because all that fear was useless. I went out both times and had a nice chicken curry once ( i brought home the large majority of the meal and gave it to my husband) and a single al pastor taco the second. But not once did someone judge me negatively, I recieved so many questions about how I was doing and omg you look so different what's your secret. I've lost 70 pounds now so the weightloss is noticeable. I didn't realise how supportive everyone would be or how they wanted to share in my success. And as far as the food anxiety went it too was pointless. I ordered healthy and ate slowly stopping before I was full and just enjoyed the flavors and company.

So for all you terrified of going out to eat relax and have fun. Be cautious of what you order and just enjoy your time out.

Anyone else have any tips for dining out or any restaurant stories?

ljbarbara
on 11/29/18 8:17 am

One of the things I do before dining out, is to look up the restaurant online and read their menu. It cuts down on any anxieties because I know what I'm ordering before I get there.

Congratulations on your 70 lb loss!

Original surgery: VSG Feb. 2009

REVISED TO RNY FEBRUARY 2016

Height: 5'7"

Start weight: 252. Current weight: 120

TANIA B.
on 11/29/18 4:40 pm
VSG on 10/23/18

Sounds like a really good experience.

When I have eaten with coworkers (who are the only ones who dont know about the surgery) it has been a lot of "arent you feeling well?" "Arent you hungry" "arent you gonna finish that?" "Dont you like your food?" There are also a lot of skeptical looks when I say no really I'm full. I try to bru**** off because, really at this point I'm eating less at a sitting then my my 5 year old so it is probably hard to believe that that is all it takes to make me full.

At the same time...I dont scrutinize what other people eat. So why so I get all the comentary.

HW 302 SW 269 CW 197 GW 150

VGS on 10/23/18

mmsmom
on 11/30/18 2:49 am - Woburn, MA

Honestly, I once the food comes, I don't think people even look at what other people are eating. I order what I want, eat slowly -so you are eating the same amount of time as your friends, and take the rest home. In maintenance, if I want a drink or dessert, I get it. Sadly, I usually can't fit them in, but if I'm paying and I only drink 1/2 an inch of my drink, that's up to me. I enjoy that 1/2 inch...and I encourage getting one or two desserts and the table sharing. That way I can have a few spoonfuls and not waste a dessert.

Also getting an appetizer as your meal is a good option too or I position myself next to one of the younger guys from work and they always eat what I can't finish, lol.

VSG on 04/28/2014

(deactivated member)
on 11/30/18 6:43 am, edited 11/30/18 12:53 am
VSG on 03/28/17

After about 8 months out there was no difference in the quantity of food I ate at a restaurant than any other normal weight woman, especially if I ate slowly.

(deactivated member)
on 11/30/18 6:26 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I look up the restaurant before I go if it is somewhere new, thought honestly we NEVER go anywhere new and I'm thankful for that. For one, I'm not adventurous. I like what I like. Anyplace that does not provide a calorie count for their food, I have found I can actually e-mail them since they usually have contact information and request that information. Most of them have sent it to me, so they do all have that information on hand.

I don't stress. Eating out is not about getting to eat food anymore. For me, it's become getting to laugh and talk with the company I'm with. I order something decently smart, or off the kid's menu if they let me, and take home the rest for another meal, or two. At Mexican restaurants (which is our go-to) I avoid the chips, but not the salsa, will ignore the rice and eat the beans. If you're doing keto or very low carb, probably would avoid both.

Most Active