Milk causes nausea

(deactivated member)
on 12/11/18 4:12 pm

I did search the forums before asking this, but I didn't get a satisfactory answer.

I'm a milk drinker and three times since surgery, I have tried to drink a cup of Horizon Organic 2% Lactose Free milk and each time, I've become nauseated. Now, that's enough of a test for me to not try it again.

Does anyone have an idea WHY milk would make me nauseated? It isn't Lactose, obviously. Fat? Some missing or significantly reduced enzyme in my smaller stomach? I plan to do a bit of online researching.

It's a bit sad, because milk was my primary calorie group once my GERD got really bad in Fall 2016 through me starting my pre-op diet in October 2018.

Thanks for any replies.

Gwen M.
on 12/11/18 6:35 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

It might just be due to changed tastes. I'd recommend waiting a few weeks and trying it again. Your stomach might just not be ready for it yet.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mmsmom
on 12/12/18 3:36 am, edited 12/11/18 7:36 pm - Woburn, MA

I agree with Gwen. I couldn't eat fish for a year and am fine with it now... it takes a long time until things even out. I also couldn't eat any refined sugar the first year (not a bad thing).

VSG on 04/28/2014

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/12/18 6:33 am

Milk is really more sugar than proteins. Regular milk has 12 grams of sugar, and 8 grams of protein.

12 grams of sugar - it is equivalent to 3 teaspoons of sugar. And in a liquid form.

Would you make a drink and add 3 teaspoons of sugar to it? Probably not.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

califsleevin
on 12/12/18 12:21 pm - CA

No, I wouldn't add sugar to anything (that's what SBUX is for!) but something like milk with intrinsic sugar is no problem - that's what aids transport of the protein to the muscle tissues. Intrinsic sugar (that which is naturally occurring in the food) is usually not a problem and is usually an indicator of foods with useful inherent nutritiion (such as dairy, fruits and vegetables.) Sugar that is added, typical of our processed and packaged food is a much more significant problem with the Western diet and should be avoided whenever possible.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/12/18 6:23 pm

Theory on the intrinsc sugar is really nice. Except is just theory my body just laughs at. Sugar is sugar.

Different sugars affect BS of people differently. Some people can be more sensitive to slmr nstursl sugsrs.

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

califsleevin
on 12/12/18 8:23 pm - CA

People can have all kinds of different sensitivities to different foods for various reasons. About the worst thing that we can do is to avoid something simply because so and so is allergic or sensitive to that food - we wind up not eating anything. The general case is what we need to concentrate on in the absence of specific information any morbidities or problems that a poster may have; we may speculate that "if you have this, then do or don't do that" but otherwise, the general human case should be the default. Most of us here know of your RH problems, which is why many have chosen the VSG or DS to allow a wider and more normal diet.

My nephew is extremely sensitive to dairy (along with a few other things), including butter and eggs - this is no reason to tell others to avoid those foods unless they show signs of similar sensitivities (though it did stimulate him to pursue becoming an RD to help others deal with their dietary problems.) In the case of the OP, some elimination trials may be in order to narrow down the problem if it doesn't resolve on its own in a couple of months.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/13/18 10:26 am

Look, sugar is sugar. It does not matter if we call is sucrose, lactose, fructose, dextrose, etc etc.

You want to continue eating sugar because it is "natural from milk, go ahead and do that. sugar because is it "natural" from fruits,- be my guest.

But sugar is sugar. Period.

califsleevin
on 12/13/18 1:47 pm, edited 12/13/18 5:48 am - CA

Of course it is, and I will. Fat is fat, and protein is protein. There is nothing wrong with sugar (or carbohydrates in general) any more than there is/was anything wrong with fats when low fat was the fad of the day, or protein, even though some may have kidney problems and need to minimize them. Excesses of any of them are not such a good thing, and we get into trouble when we have too much of anything. Individuals will have greater or lesser sensitivities than average to any of these and we need to pay attention to that to maintain our health. About the worst thing that we can do is to eliminate one or another of them simply because somebody else has a sensitivity to them that doesn't apply to the rest of us (sorta like those schools who try to go "peanut free".)

This is why nutrition science in general leans toward a balanced approach to diet, and leaves the extreme limitations to those who actually need them, because there are always trade offs when leaving that middle ground that our bodies prefer.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/14/18 5:37 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Never try to teach a pig to sing.

You only waste your time, and annoy the pig.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active