Insurance

Jinxy6
on 12/28/18 7:12 am - SC

So I completed all my classes, etc. back in October. I was waiting for authorization from my two insurances. They called me to schedule the surgery last month but my husband had been injured at work so I told them I would call back. I just got off the phone with the surgeons office. The girl who normally handles insurance is out till next week. The lady I spoke with says Blue Cross has an "exclusion" and won't pay for anything. She says I must have forgotten because surely they told me about this. I am so mad! I already feel like I have lost my momentum because of the delay, now this. Medicare is my secondary insurance. Does anyone know what they pays for VSG?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/28/18 8:16 am
RNY on 08/05/19

As I understand it, there are different plans for Medicare with different types of coverage. Is there a customer service phone number on the back of your card? I would give them a call and ask them for more information about your particular situation.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

malkee
on 12/28/18 9:55 am
VSG on 10/25/18

Medicare paid for my VSG but it is my primary insurance.

Not sure about secondary.

Height: 5'3"

HW - 327

SW-272

CW - 243

GW -140

Surgery date: 10/25/18

Kristi T.
on 12/28/18 10:24 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Medicare is my main insurance, I don't have a secondary. They paid 80% of my VSG, I was responsible for the rest. Definitely call the number on the back of your card, good luck to you. It's worth every step you have to take!

White Dove
on 1/1/19 11:51 am - Warren, OH

Blue Cross does not have an exclusion, but your particular Blue Cross plan might.
Start by checking your plan on your plan's website. There are many different Blue Cross plans. Your insurance person at your surgeon should be able to track this down for you.

There are also many different Medicare plans and supplements. The person answering the phone over the holidays might not be well-informed about your plan.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/19 10:01 pm
VSG on 12/28/16

Blue Cross paid for my surgery. It may be something specific to your provider/employer. Call your health plan and ask directly. They can open a case for you and give you the details of how to qualify. Don't just rely on an administrator in your doctors office. I know people who were covered by Medicare too.

Most Active