Need hope with IEHP insurance

prncessbre
on 1/6/19 11:54 am

Has anyone had the gastric sleeve done with IEHP insurance? If so can you share the process and how long it took? It would be much appreciated. Thank you very much.

Mary Gee
on 1/6/19 2:24 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I'm not familiar with that insurance, and I notice this is your first post. Don't know if you're at all familiar with the whole WLS process.

First - verify coverage for WLS. Most insurers offer several policies with various coverages. Also, if you get your insurance through your employer, they may have a WLS exclusion to save money.

Call the number on the back of your insurance card and call and ask questions:

Is there coverage?

What are their requirements? (ie....qualifying BMI requirements, referral by PCP, one year (or six month or three month)medically supervised diet, sleep study, cardio eval, etc.?

If there is coverage, contact Bariatric Surgeon office. They will likely have you attend an orientation seminar where they discuss the various surgeries. They will also go over their requirements (informational meetings, psych evaluation, meeting with nutritionist).

It's impossible to say how long it takes. For me, I went to orientation in November and had surgery the following May. I think generally it's eight months or so....sometimes depending on waiting time for appointments, and the medically supervised diet.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Most Active