Here waiting on insurance approval ughhh

skinnytrappedinfatbod
y

on 1/28/19 8:39 am

Hello world. I noticed I have been a memeber since 2011 but never had insurance to get it done. Looked into going to Mexico to get it done even put a deposit and never went through with it. "Was a bit skeptical". Anyhow finally decided to do it since I have great benefits and my insurance covers it. Started with my first visit in September 2018 Dr put me on a 3 month plan. Finished all the classes I needed to do and during the holidays after having those delicious meals went on quick diets to lose what I gained bc of insurance approval. I was told they would send out my papers on January 17 but I don't think they sent it. When I called the 18th they told me the person in charge of insurance wasn't in the office til the 22nd a Tuesday. Ughh that means she's probably on vacation and now by the time she actually sends it I have to wait even more time. I waited patiently all weekend and called that Tuesday of course every time I called this insurance person at the dr office it would go to voice mail. Then was told she's in meetings all day. Which. Means she won't get to my papers yet. I called my insurance to see if it was sent. After being on the phone with them for about 30min they couldn't find any claims for surgery. Since I was going to another dr appt in the same building I showed up to the wls dr office and they weren't happy to see me bc now I'm there in person bugging them. When I said I called my insurance she was like "no don't ever call the insurance that can mess everything up let us handle it". Well if you guys can be on the ball with the paper work or getting back to your patients then i wouldn't have called them. They need to understand that this is a huge new chapter into someone's life. They don't know battles with insecurities, name calling, the way people view you, being uncomfortable in your skin/clothes, depression, dating etc so not sending papers when was scheduled puts your life on hold longer. Any how now is the waiting game.

What have some some of your experiences been with insurance approval?

jdekost81
on 1/28/19 10:04 am
VSG on 04/05/19

My dietitian is signing off on approval at my last appointment next week, and then everything goes to insurance so I'll be waiting with you. She did tell me that although it varies based on insurance, it can typically take 4-6 weeks to hear back from them, sometimes less, but that's the window. So just hang in there.

I started my classes etc in September as well so we are about at the same next step. Good luck!! :)

skinnytrappedinfatbod
y

on 1/28/19 10:17 am

Dam 4-6 weeks. Some people get approved in one day. Keep me posted!

Gwen M.
on 1/28/19 3:44 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Waiting sucks. I was so excited about surgery and just could not wait to get it DONE!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/28/19 2:42 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

If you're this impatient now, you're in for a rough time after surgery. Surgery is not magic and your weight will not melt off, you'll likely need to wait for about a year to reach goal weight. If you're freaking out over waiting four days on paperwork, it's time to readjust your expectations.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

skinnytrappedinfatbod
y

on 1/28/19 4:53 pm

In 2016 I lost 80lbs on my own it took one year. So I know what it takes to lose the weight and how long it takes. Reason I am impatient is bc when I see my old pictures and how good I looked I want to get back to that and smaller. I have my own personal reasons why I put back the weight just like many of you on this forum who have been battling with weight loss all your lives. I am still young but getting older and I have my own personal goals and expectations for this year. Also I have had surgery so I know what surgery is I really don't need to readjust my expectations but thanks for the input.

idgett
on 1/28/19 4:59 pm - WV

When I had my surgery VSG wasn't a approved surgery (insurance wise) Be proactive..be a bitc#! Remember..you pay them for your care..remind them of that!

Let me tell you how much I love my sleeve...

Start:: 291+/ SW:282 Current/173 Surgeon's goal/ 175 My goal: 165 I'm 5'6"  

My true goal is whatever weight gets me in a size 10      
Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/28/19 7:03 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I think there's a fine line between being proactive and being *****y. I would probably try to stay on the good side of the office staff, since they're your first line of communication to the doctor who will be cutting you open :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

skinnytrappedinfatbod
y

on 1/29/19 5:10 am

I like that "be a *****" hey we are all here to tell our stories and vent! Hahaha.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/30/19 6:05 am

Calling your insurance doesn't mess anything up. However, it's January , and that is a busy time in the medical and insurance worlds.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views