Newbie Alert!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 1/31/19 11:45 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/18/17

I totally agree! It is a personal decision that everyone should make after careful consideration. Nobody has the right to decide what you do with your body. It is your domain. I had people at work and a good friend who tried to convince me to not have the surgery.

I think you need to look at these people as the first challenge on the weight loss journey. They will test how steadfast your resolve is. There will be many other challenges along the way, so learning to be strong and stand up for what you know is the right thing for your health is a really big deal.

Tinayslife
on 1/31/19 5:23 pm - Cincinnati, OH

Thank you so much for the encouragement!

Kristi T.
on 1/30/19 9:11 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Welcome! I agree with Gwen and Sparklekitty, if I had to return to work I would have needed at least 2-3 weeks. So definitely speak with the surgeon regarding recovery time. Keep coming back to OH and let us know how you are doing!

Tinayslife
on 1/30/19 5:00 pm - Cincinnati, OH

Thank you so much! I will ask more questions when I go back next week about the recovery time.

Pure_Prairie
on 1/30/19 11:25 am
VSG on 01/10/19

Congrats on getting this far! Just exploring the options is brave in my opinion. I know you can't put the cat back in the bag, but I didn't tell anyone right away for this sort of reason, it's pretty personal.

I am discouraged by her repeated input, to express an opinion is one thing but to repeat this borders on harassment. Perhaps speaking to her again or writing her a card might help, maybe saying this isn't an easy process and you need as much support as "friends" can offer. Being honest can make her aware that the behavior is personally hurtful.

On returning to work, I am 3 weeks post op so let me add this, I was off pain meds in 5 days, which is great in my opinion! However, I am physically tired, I moved slower and stairs make me catch my breath, (still) despite walking. My biggest concern for you is this, drinking 64 oz of water takes time to get into the habit, and (I worked up to it on my pre - op diet) having a smaller stomach means sipping, a lot, all day long. Having said all of that I would take as long as possible, do you have short term disability you could access instead of vacation? My husband used his to allow him to be with me which was priceless.

Best wishes no matter what you decide, and welcome to OH a great support for the process!

HW: 183 Pre-Op: 171 Post WLS Month 1: 149 Month 2: 141 Month 3: 133

Surgeon's goal: 128 My Goal: 118

Tinayslife
on 1/30/19 5:23 pm - Cincinnati, OH

Thank You! You guys have really made me feel very welcome! Yes I have short term disability and PTO ...Clearly I'm a little delusional about the recovery time but i'm learning something every time someone leaves a comment. Thank you for the advice about the co-worker I had thought about pulling her aside and having a conversation, I usually stir away from confrontation but I guess I need to put my big girl panties on. Thanks for the support it makes it so much easier to go through knowing others have done the process or are going thru it.

AnnieG522
on 1/31/19 6:09 am
VSG on 10/05/17

Welcome to a lovely group. And not to encourage your delusions, but after VSG (and I had a second surgery & blood transfusions with minor complication) I was in hospital Thu til Sun am. But also able by Tuesday to go back to normal stuff, except heavy lifting.

I've not had anything but encouraging comments, except for a few intrusive questions about what I intended to do with all that "flappy skin" afterwards. Like you, I try not to choke people. But I rather wanted to ask if they wanted it, or why did they care? Not like I'm getting nekkid with folks.

HW: 240 lbs CW: 205 lbs: SW: 199 lbs GW: 130 lbs
1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
5 MO = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0 (GOAL) 20 MO = 133
"At the evening of our life, we shall be judged by our love."

Tinayslife
on 1/31/19 5:28 pm - Cincinnati, OH

That is hilarious! "If they wanted it". This group has been great and so encouraging I am super happy I joined OH. Thanks!

PrivateCitizen
on 2/1/19 2:43 pm

Just a thought, from someone who has had multiple serious surgeries and decision making under her belt.

You may not have 'that job' forever, but your decision to choose one type or another surgery is forever. And is paramount.

So really ask the doctor all the pros and cons of each and FORGET "time off work" or even losing the job as your major concern. Heck you may choose to go get a more wonderful opportunity a year from now after all the lost weight, and shiny new wardrobe and confidence, and 'that job' won't matter at all.

You may have GERD, or other issues that would lead the MD to tell you which is better, family genetics, past experiences, etc. all help point to the right choice for you.

I'd say read the RNY page and the VS pages here, and make a list of questions, no such thing as a dumb question when you are making big decision.

Good luck!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views